Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Calibration

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
sts167 is on a distinguished road
sts167's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS Calibration

I currently running 16" steel rims on my 09. What should I expect to pay to calibrate 4 TPMS sensors for 17" TRD alloy rims I am putting on my vehicle? The dealership wanted $105 to calibrate the 4 sensors; seemed a little steep.

Also, would I be able to reuse the sensors that came with my steel rims? I have sensors for the alloy and steel rims, but dont want to switch to the alloy sensors unless I have to.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
sts167's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 05-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
i guess the only way to tell is to take one out and try to bolt it to the alloy wheel.sometimes the angle is off,but they still might work.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
LostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shedLostRebel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LostRebel's Tacoma Gallery
The 40 deg. sensors from the stock steel wheels will not properly fit the alloy wheels, which are intended to be fit with a 20 deg. sensor.

Some members have had success fitting the steel sensors in the alloy wheels by flipping them 180 deg., but the sensor becomes susceptible to breakage during tire mounting/dismounting and when the tire is run flat.

It is a common misconception that only Toyota dealerships have the tool to reprogram sensor IDs. A tire shop in your area most likely has the proper scan tool to enter the new sensor IDs in your truck's ECU, and their fee may be considerably less than the dealer.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing needs to be calibrated if you are able to use your old sensors on your new rims. What exactly are they charging you for?

Some have reported that you can use the TPMS from the steel rims on the aluminum rims if you flip them 180 degrees.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Call around, local shops will do it as well.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
sts167's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Nothing needs to be calibrated if you are able to use your old sensors on your new rims. What exactly are they charging you for?

Some have reported that you can use the TPMS from the steel rims on the aluminum rims if you flip them 180 degrees.

Thank you all for your replies... if I am able to use the original sensors I don't believe they need to be recalibrated either. I just have my doubts that the originals will fit the alloy rims.