Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Help me get there: stock to 285/70/17

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Firefighter
Name: Stephan
SCFirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Help me get there: stock to 285/70/17

A friend of mine has 4 BFG A/T's for sale for $400. These are $240 tires, and the thread is like-new. It's a steal. (Have pics, can post)
However, my stock 4x4 Sport cannot accommodate them, and I need some sort of lift or maybe spacers, or both?

I wanted a minor lift anyway for aesthetics, but now it becomes a functional requirement. Will 3" be enough? What else would I need? I have the rear suspension TSB coming up soon, keep that in mind.

Also, should I buy 4 new rims for these, and keep my stock available?
Will I be able to swap back and forth between these sets without re-aligning?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
you got my answer on the lift/trimming/etc....but you also dont need new alignment to swap between sets of tires
Old 05-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
So in addition to the lift I would still need some body work trimming? Is there any way to avoid that? I don't know why, but I'm kinda trying to avoid those kinds of irreversible 'mods'.
you can reverse it by replacing the inner fender you'll have to trim w/ the 3" lift, reguardless of the type of lift....and remove the front flaps too
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
God of Thunder ...and Rock N' Roll!
JohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyGato is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
JohnnyGato's Tacoma Gallery
If ya put in a quality lift you should be OK. I have a 1st Gen and didn't have to remove any mud flaps, but with a 2nd Gen you'll definitely have to remove the front. 33"s will fit with 3" Icon lifts. See my build.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
I cant speak form experience. I just bought a new truck with the exact same tires AND a 3" Revtek lift. It's close when the wheels are locked, but there is NO rubbing. 3" will do just fine
Old 05-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

^^depends on the wheels though...stockers may not rub the inner fender, but put the tire close to the UCA...aftermarket wheels w/ 4.5" BS push the wheels from the UCA, but cause the tires to rub when turning hard
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
K, well I have FJ rims, and the only slight issue, under closer examination, is a teeny tiny bit of rubbing on the mud flap, here:

Not significant enough to need any tinkering in my mind, but I am considering takign the front flaps off just because I like the look better
Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbthree View Post
K, well I have FJ rims, and the only slight issue, under closer examination, is a teeny tiny bit of rubbing on the mud flap, here:

Not significant enough to need any tinkering in my mind, but I am considering takign the front flaps off just because I like the look better
i have 285s on aftermarket wheels and they rubbed all the way back to the body mount until i got a good alignment. alignment i had was in spec, but after a new one, no more body mount rubby. with the BS on the stocker rims, they tuck inside closer to the engine compartment when turned and apparently miss most of the mudflap, inner fender, body mount, etc
Old 05-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
on idiot patrol ;)
SCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCFirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
you got my answer on the lift/trimming/etc....but you also dont need new alignment to swap between sets of tires
Jamie, since I need to start somewhere, I want to go ahead and get spacers since I am running stock wheels. (I like the look anyway)
I bumped into these: http://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hub-Centric-Spacer
Next step will be saving up for a 3" lift kit.

Any thoughts on these spacers, and the kit?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #12
Sooooooper Moderator

if you're gonna run spacers, spidertrax are the way to go. then it all depends on budget for the lift
Old 05-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #13
on idiot patrol ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
if you're gonna run spacers, spidertrax are the way to go. then it all depends on budget for the lift
I'm going to spacers based on your recommendation. On second thought though I wonder how the already wide 285 will look with an extra inch of the spacer.
Anyone any pics on this?
Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
Sooooooper Moderator

there are pics around. it increases the overall stance nicely. the only reason for spacers are clearance of the UCA. get rims w/ a different backspacing and you wont need the spacers...or aftermarket UCAs that will help clearance as well as keep the alignment in check when you go 3"
Old 05-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator

at 3", yes
Old 05-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Not entirely true...

Also, the OP said 285/70-16, which is an inch shorter than the 285/75-16. The rub points are gonna be different...
different guy....this isnt 285/70/16 guy....this is 285/70/17 guy

he has a sport and is going to run them on stock wheels....17"
Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Crap... had 2 windows open... you are most definitely correct... +1 inch for the rim
i saw your post in the other thread...figured it was a simple thing...no biggie
Old 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, seemed kinda odd that we'd be talking about that same oddball size in 2 threads...
yeah, never heard of a 285/70/16 until that...75 is definately more common. same goes for the 255/75/17 and 255/85/16s i guess
Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM   #20
guidoverduci is on a distinguished road
guidoverduci's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFirefighter View Post
So will I need new UCAs as well to get a proper alignment after the lift?
Someone should really put together a 100% shopping list for accomplishing a proper 3" lift from stock.
I've been looking for the same thing... trying to figure out how to put on 33s.