LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tpms

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
B_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura about

Name: Brandon
B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Question Tpms

I currently have 16" steel wheel on my truck. I recently purchased some 16" TRD Offroad alloy wheels from another member on TW. The TPMS did not come with the new wheels. I was planning on using the ones that are on my steel wheels. When I went to get the new wheels installed they told me the TPMS would not work with the alloys. I called the dealership and they said the ones I need would cost $110.00 each!! I'm not sure what I should do as the sensors would cost more than I paid for the wheels. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it! Thanks
Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
B_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura aboutB_brand has a spectacular aura about

B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody have any input?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
OK Thanks I will look into that.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Discount tire has them too, maybe cheaper than Dealer?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_brand View Post
I currently have 16" steel wheel on my truck. I recently purchased some 16" TRD Offroad alloy wheels from another member on TW. The TPMS did not come with the new wheels. I was planning on using the ones that are on my steel wheels. When I went to get the new wheels installed they told me the TPMS would not work with the alloys. I called the dealership and they said the ones I need would cost $110.00 each!! I'm not sure what I should do as the sensors would cost more than I paid for the wheels. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it! Thanks
If you're not so enthused about having TPMS (a lot of people aren't, as it turns out) you could consider the pipe bomb trick.

Basically, get some PVC pipe, seal the 4 sensors in it and mount a schrader valve to pressurize it to 15 lbs or so before resetting the TPMS ECU to the new pressure. Slip the pipe under your driver's seat for safe keeping.

The sensor in your spare will still work to tell you it's time to air it up!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Another idea would be a wheelbarrow wheel. Larger, yes, but you could throw it behind the rear seat.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
I think I will try the pipe bomb mod
Old 05-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
Support our troops!
The End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe End is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Master at Arms
Name: Tim
The End's Tacoma Gallery
I got some for sale.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
You should be able to turn the sensors 180 degrees and have them stuff fit. Or you can look for a strap kit and you'll be able to put them into any tire ever.
Here's the strap kit I have. No problems at all.

http://www.revolutionsupply.com/steelstrap.aspx
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #11

B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Do the strap kits work on 16" wheels?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_brand View Post
Do the strap kits work on 16" wheels?
Yep they work on wheels of all sizes, shapes, and colors.

Discount tire had them in stock when I got my tires mounted.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #13

B_brand's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you guys for all the input!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
MAC_95820 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
MAC_95820's Tacoma Gallery
Strap Kit

What does the strap kit effectively do?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_95820 View Post
What does the strap kit effectively do?
It allows you to mount TPMS sensors on wheels that are not compatible with them. It works like a big hose clamp.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
It allows you to mount TPMS sensors on wheels that are not compatible with them. It works like a big hose clamp.
How does that solve the problem with the angle of the TPMS from the steel wheels going in the alloys. My understanding is that the angle is too drastic and they don't fit through the opening correctly. Or is the strap intended to help when you flip them upside down?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How does that solve the problem with the angle of the TPMS from the steel wheels going in the alloys. My understanding is that the angle is too drastic and they don't fit through the opening correctly. Or is the strap intended to help when you flip them upside down?
With the straps, the TPMS sensors no longer act as the valve stem. The whole assembly is strapped in the middle of the inside of the rim, and you get regular old valve stems to go where they sensors were mounted before.

Here's a pic I got off of google.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #18
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
If you're not so enthused about having TPMS (a lot of people aren't, as it turns out) you could consider the pipe bomb trick.

Basically, get some PVC pipe, seal the 4 sensors in it and mount a schrader valve to pressurize it to 15 lbs or so before resetting the TPMS ECU to the new pressure. Slip the pipe under your driver's seat for safe keeping.

The sensor in your spare will still work to tell you it's time to air it up!
I think if your spare is at 30 psi the pipe bomb needs to be close to that pressure also otherwise the tpms light will flash. I believe all sensors need to be within 4 psi of each other.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
With the straps, the TPMS sensors no longer act as the valve stem. The whole assembly is strapped in the middle of the inside of the rim, and you get regular old valve stems to go where they sensors were mounted before.
Ahhhhh... I see. Thanks for the visual. Not sure if it seems worth the time and money to have it installed in the tire if it isn't performing its only realistic function as a valve stem. Might as well make the pipe bomb. Anybody have pros/cons to the options?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ahhhhh... I see. Thanks for the visual. Not sure if it seems worth the time and money to have it installed in the tire if it isn't performing its only realistic function as a valve stem.
Well, it's performing its intended function, as it still monitors my tire pressure.