Powdercoating Wheels Black Poll

View Poll Results: Powdercoat?
Get them Powdercoated Black 28 70.00%
Leave them the way that they are 5 12.50%
Rattle Can them black 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Powdercoating Wheels Black Poll

So my FJ Wheels have a little bit of corrosion on the inside. I was thinking about getting them Powdercoated Black with a Semi Gloss. The guys at the powercoating shop said around $250 for 5 Wheels.

Do you guys think I should do it? Here is my truck. It already has a black toolbox and a black roof rack. I think this would complete the look I'm going for.

Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Powdercoating Wheels Black Poll-fj.jpg  
Old 05-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
It'll look great, but have you considered painting them yourself? I did mine and as long as you take your time they'll turn out awesome. A lot cheaper too
Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did a little experiment on the paint. My dad had some old caps off his F150 and I took that and duplicolor painted it, but it turned out awful.

Did you try Rustoleum? I heard that Hammered Black is good.

Any problems with chipping?
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
RPain's Tacoma Gallery
those would look sick powder coated black
Old 05-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPain View Post
those would look sick powder coated black
I think they would look good, I am just worried about Chipping. If I rattle can them, then touch up would be easy. But some guys on here have Powdercoated wheels (PandaJerk) and they look sick!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
RPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shedRPain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
black wheels on siver tacos looks tight i think. if you rattle can it i would suggest doing it maybe on one wheel first to make sure you like how it turns out
Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #7

Yeah good idea. Did you get new wheels? I thought you had stock wheels last time I saw a picture
Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #8

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i just got them on friday, $99 each at discount tire. and tuesday im getting my 2.5 in bilstein lift
Old 05-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

You will love the Bilsteins man. I got mine installed a month ago. Are you doing an AAL in the rear?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #10

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
Not planning on it right now. but if i dont like the front being a little higher i might think about it. but i only got the front bilsteins i didnt get them for the rear yet
Old 05-16-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

Yeah I got mine at 2.5" in the front and stock rear. But I do have all 4 shocks. To be honest, some days it looks level and some days it looks like a nice little front lean. I love the way it looks. Not too noticeable like some guys at my school-they have a damn 4 inch lift in the front and stock rear hahah
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #12

RPain's Tacoma Gallery
haha at my school all the cars and trucks are bone stock except for one other taco. i'll make sure i post pics on tuesday. they come in the mail monday
Old 05-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #13

Yeah I meant guys with Z71 Silverados. Not too many Tacomas at my school.

Good luck with them! And nice wheels.

Back to powdercoating
Old 05-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I just painted my rims this weekend. I used the Rustoleum Hammered finish black and they turned out great. If you take your time in the prep work, it will look awesome. And it only cost $20.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
I like them the way they are. They would look good on a silver truck.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post
I just painted my rims this weekend. I used the Rustoleum Hammered finish black and they turned out great. If you take your time in the prep work, it will look awesome. And it only cost $20.
Any pictures? Thanks!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
Any pictures? Thanks!
I'm working on it...I only have my cell phone camera so it's hard to get good pics of it in the sunlight.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Science!

Old 05-16-2010, 05:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFalk View Post

Thanks for the pictures. I bet if you painted your badges it would look even better!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #20
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
That would look good powdercoated! Like a first gen brother to my truck!