Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Does hubcentric matter?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Does hubcentric matter?

im looking at wheels for the taco does hubcentric matter? whats it even mean

its goin on a taco with a stock rear and Dana 44 front

where can i find decent price hubcentric wheels? i didnt see any on 4wp
Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 AM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
what exactly is a tapered lugnut? would it matter if im using spacers or not?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
You will want to get lug centric wheels on a 1st gen. Taco.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought aftermarket wheels for my 94 Corolla from Tire Rack, they sent me plastic spacers to make the wheels hub centric.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Name: Pete
wilsonpj's Tacoma Gallery
No it does not matter really, if you want you could always get hub rings to increase the diameter of the hub to match that of the wheel.

Lug centric wheels place all the forces on the lug vs hub centric where the wheel centers on the hub, when you move to after market wheels the diameter of the centers are wider, thus why they do not fit snugly on the stock hubs.

In any case, I would not worry about it. Just my $0.02. Google the subject and you will get plenty of info.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

only_K's Tacoma Gallery
since you have a 1st gen you need Lug centric.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the wheels. The ProComp 7089s MUST be lug-centric to fit the 05+ Tacomas. The center holes on the hub-centric ones too small to fit over the hub ring on the truck.

First hand experience on that one. I bought wheels last week and just had a new set arrive literally 20 minutes ago because the first ones were hub centric.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
wilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the roughwilsonpj is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Depends on the wheels. The ProComp 7089s MUST be lug-centric to fit the 05+ Tacomas. The center holes on the hub-centric ones too small to fit over the hub ring on the truck.

First hand experience on that one. I bought wheels last week and just had a new set arrive literally 20 minutes ago because the first ones were hub centric.

Can you explain in more detail, not exactly sure what you are saying and I'm thinking about getting some black 7089's....?
Old 05-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
There's a hole in the center of the wheel. If you buy the hub-centric version of the 7089s, that hole is too small to fit over the factory hub.

The factory rims, at least 05+, are hub-centric but the hub is not a universal size. The Toyota hub is larger than center hole on the hub-centric 7089s.

If you buy the lug-centric wheels, the hole in the center of the wheel is much larger and will clear the factory hub ring.

The clearest picture of the factory hub ring I have available at the moment:

Lug centric on the rear barely clears:
Old 05-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Makes perfect sense, thx.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #11

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
No problem! It's nice to answer a Tacoma question around here for a change.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
How do you like the new wheels so far, any pics mounted on your truck? Did they ship you rings to put over the hubs?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #13

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with them. Been running them for almost 3 years now without issue.

The new wheels are for my spares. I just goofed with the part numbers when I called and placed my order.

I have center caps for all 8 wheels but am not installing them. My truck's far from pretty and those would just be 1 more thing to get banged up and/or lost.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
would 2nd gen stock taco wheels fit a dana 44? lol

thanks for all the answers, very helpful