Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tires for high altitude Colorado

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Space Cowboy is on a distinguished road
Space Cowboy's Tacoma Gallery
Tires for high altitude Colorado

I know there are tire discussions all over the place. But I live in Central Colorado with some serious off road passes, sharp granite rocks and frequent rain, steep slick surfaces and often muddy roads. I bought a 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab last December. I need some good advice on tires for my region.
My local mechanic suggested Cooper STT. I think they look great but I read they were really noisy on the highway. We've had a muddy spring and I'm slipping all over the place.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
s10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the sheds10nick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: nick
s10nick's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to s10nick
do the coopers you wont be disapointed
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I live near Durango. My Goodyear Duratracs have hit every terrain and weather possible. I absolutely love them! I would have gotten mudders but as I'm sure you know, MT's don't mix well with snowy, icy roads. The Duratracs have fantastic off road traction, nasty looking side lugs, and stick to adverse roads better than my old BFG TA KO's. That's saying a lot because those BFG's are very well respected.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
I've got a pair of Blizzaks for the winter, so I'm covered there. I'm going to look into the Duratracks. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
That's a great shot! s10nick.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Yep. I've been thinkin' and I'm going for the Coopers. My mechanic is a good man. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I've been living and driving in Colorado for 20 years. I've always lived in the front range but am constantly going up into the mountains year round.

BFG all terrains have always been the tires under my truck (and former Bronco). I have never had an issue, have always felt incredibly solid in all conditions and used to do some hardcore wheeling with them when I had my Bronco
Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
BFG are junk for wheeling IMO. I have the Maxxis Big horn MT's and they are great the only other tire I would even consider is the goodyear duratracks but I wheel more than most so I rate my tires on how they perform wheeling.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
BFG are junk for wheeling IMO. I have the Maxxis Big horn MT's and they are great the only other tire I would even consider is the goodyear duratracks but I wheel more than most so I rate my tires on how they perform wheeling.
I wouldn't say "junk" as they've brought me many places on sick trails. Granted I'm not going balls-out as I've seen in some of the videos here, but my stock TRD Tacoma on BFG all terrains made it up Elephant Hill in Canyonlands with relatively no problems.

Plus like you said in the last sentence... I don't wheel all the time, in fact barely nowadays, so I look for an all around performing tire. Most imporantly is safety on snow-packed mountain passes when I'm driving up (and equally as important: down) I-70 to go snowboarding. Then the next priority is durability and how they hold up with the brutal UV we get here, hot summers and cold winters, and finally overall gas mileage and rideability.

For me I'll never guy anything other than BFG all terrains. They've just proven to be the best all around tire for my needs time and time again.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I wouldn't say "junk" as they've brought me many places on sick trails. Granted I'm not going balls-out as I've seen in some of the videos here, but my stock TRD Tacoma on BFG all terrains made it up Elephant Hill in Canyonlands with relatively no problems.

Plus like you said in the last sentence... I don't wheel all the time, in fact barely nowadays, so I look for an all around performing tire. Most imporantly is safety on snow-packed mountain passes when I'm driving up (and equally as important: down) I-70 to go snowboarding. Then the next priority is durability and how they hold up with the brutal UV we get here, hot summers and cold winters, and finally overall gas mileage and rideability.

For me I'll never guy anything other than BFG all terrains. They've just proven to be the best all around tire for my needs time and time again.
I agree they are a great street tire and in all conditions. But at 20k my stock BFGs in the mountains were like racing slicks. I am a fan of MT's but only if you can take the road noise mine are LOUD.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I agree they are a great street tire and in all conditions. But at 20k my stock BFGs in the mountains were like racing slicks. I am a fan of MT's but only if you can take the road noise mine are LOUD.
Damn that sucks.

In another thread I explained that the last set of 31x10.5 I had on my Tacoma lasted 8 years 100,000+ miles.

Granted not the safest practice I know as the compounds wear down over time when exposed to hot/cold cycles and UV - but they still did great on their last trip from Boulder to Vail in a pretty gnarly storm with crappy roads.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #12

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Damn that sucks.

In another thread I explained that the last set of 31x10.5 I had on my Tacoma lasted 8 years 100,000+ miles.

Granted not the safest practice I know as the compounds wear down over time when exposed to hot/cold cycles and UV - but they still did great on their last trip from Boulder to Vail in a pretty gnarly storm with crappy roads.
You had good luck with them for sure!! Like I said though its only my opinion Im a fan of MT's for the wheeling I do. But with the last group we went with wheeling a few of the guys had the Duratracks and I liked how they did for traction.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
You had good luck with them for sure!! Like I said though its only my opinion Im a fan of MT's for the wheeling I do. But with the last group we went with wheeling a few of the guys had the Duratracks and I liked how they did for traction.
Where do you do most of your wheeling?

I like the MTs for sure, but not the road noise and poor gas mileage
Old 05-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #14

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where do you do most of your wheeling?

I like the MTs for sure, but not the road noise and poor gas mileage
PM'd
Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
mgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgage10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
mgage10's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to mgage10 Send a message via Skype™ to mgage10
I live in Salt Lake City, UT and commute to Park City which is a very similar climate if not exactly the same. I had BFG A/T on my old truck and was not impressed in the slightest. I put Nitto Terra Grapplers on my new truck and love them. They have great traction, ride quality, and looks. They do great in the mud, snow, wet roads, and dry roads. I have yet to notice any slipping. Nitto Terra Grapplers FTW!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM rf10. They are less expensive than most all of the tires mentioned and get really good reviews. This will more than likely be my next set of tires. I really like my Toyo MTs tho .
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #17

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgage10 View Post
I live in Salt Lake City, UT and commute to Park City which is a very similar climate if not exactly the same. I had BFG A/T on my old truck and was not impressed in the slightest. I put Nitto Terra Grapplers on my new truck and love them. They have great traction, ride quality, and looks. They do great in the mud, snow, wet roads, and dry roads. I have yet to notice any slipping. Nitto Terra Grapplers FTW!
Defiantly do not get the Terra grapplers living in Colorado. You will hate life, ask kappes03 he has then lives in CO and well ask him.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #18
I'm going for the Cooper STT. No doubt about it. Thanks.
S.C.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do not believe you can get the BF Goodrich AT KO's stock you are likely referrring to the Rugged trails which are generally recognized as S**tty tires.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #20

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaum08 View Post
I do not believe you can get the BF Goodrich AT KO's stock you are likely referrring to the Rugged trails which are generally recognized as S**tty tires.
Stock size, my Rugged trails meet the trash can faster than the first tank of gas.