275/70/17 with stock UCAs

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
deepseadiver is on a distinguished road
Navy: First class Diver, Mobile Diving and Combat Salvage Unit 2
Name: william
deepseadiver's Tacoma Gallery
275/70/17 with stock UCAs

Is anyone running 275/70/17's with front bilstiens at 1.75 and the rear tsb or AAL? can i run this tire without getting new UCA's? i got the tsb done and front bilstiens the other day. looking for a new tire option and seems like the stock UCA's are so close to the tire already
Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Conner
Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
ho-ly.shit. thats exactly what i have. Yes you can run these with stock uca's and you will be fine
Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Stand for Nothing or Die for Something
NCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant futureNCTacoma09 has a brilliant future

Army: 11b
Name: Andrew
NCTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been wondering the same thing. I want to run 285/75/r16.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Redfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedfox1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery

with 5100's and TSB
Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys have aftermarket wheels? If not then your bigger tire will rub against any UCAs.

The thing with getting new UCAs is because of the alignment. If you lift it 2.5 or higher and cannot get the alignment done correctly then you would need new UCAs. I don't think it has anything to do with bigger tires.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
conner, what setting are the 5100's at?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Lateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant futureLateralus has a brilliant future

Name: Steve
Lateralus's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 275/70/17 on stock wheels with Billys at 2.5" and had no major issues.. I was (at the time) on stock UCA's. No rubbing at all. The only thing was at highway speeds at @70mph the steering wheel "floated" around a little. Nothing too bad. The alignment wasn't perfect but close enough.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
just want to make sure it can be done with billies at 1.75. i want to run 275/70/17's with the rear tsb and front billies at 1.75
Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #9
kerusm is on a distinguished road
Name: Kirby
kerusm's Tacoma Gallery
stock

I am running 285/70/17's on my 05. Completely stock. The front mud flaps had been removed prior due to breaking with stock 265's. They will rub uca a little if you max turn left or right but do not touch during normal driving. I have had them on two years, no problems, drives excellent. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
wow. thanx a lot. maybe i should think about 285's!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
ok. so i went ahead and purchased a set of 275/70/17's bf goodrich AT. went to get them mounted and balanced and the guy said they would not be able to go on my truck with stock rims unless i put wheel spacers on. plus he said that he would have to move the billies from 1.75 to 2.5 and that it would cost 225 bucks just to do that! does this guy know what he is talking about? i wouldnt mind going to 2.5 but i dont want wheel spacers
Old 06-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
kerusm is on a distinguished road
Name: Kirby
kerusm's Tacoma Gallery
I do not know what the difference would be between an 05 and 2010 model but I have had no problems with mine and they are 285's? I am going to get 80,000 + miles out of these and will replace with 285's. I had a tire guy tell me I could not put 305's on my ole Z71. I did it anyway.....it worked, still on it and no problems. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadiver View Post
ok. so i went ahead and purchased a set of 275/70/17's bf goodrich AT. went to get them mounted and balanced and the guy said they would not be able to go on my truck with stock rims unless i put wheel spacers on. plus he said that he would have to move the billies from 1.75 to 2.5 and that it would cost 225 bucks just to do that! does this guy know what he is talking about? i wouldnt mind going to 2.5 but i dont want wheel spacers

Sounds like they know what the stock size is and they're quoting a disclaimer since you're mounting a different size with no modifications. ??? Just a guess as we don't know what kind of shop you went to (national chain, local independent, etc). Chains will often do this to insulate themselves from liability and you can then tell them to go ahead and do it anyway at which point they make sure you know about the waiver you're signing
Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #14

Redfox1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie View Post
conner, what setting are the 5100's at?
1.75, but i want to move up to 2.5 i just need to get the money to have that and he rear lift done, and enough for a new UCA if i need it
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim920 View Post
Do you guys have aftermarket wheels? If not then your bigger tire will rub against any UCAs.

The thing with getting new UCAs is because of the alignment. If you lift it 2.5 or higher and cannot get the alignment done correctly then you would need new UCAs. I don't think it has anything to do with bigger tires.
Do you have a 3 inch lift? Do you even have a lift? No according to your user info....

Check the facts with people who actually have the setup...don't believe otherwise!

I'm lifted 3 inches on stock UCAs after market 4.5 backspacing rims 285/70/17s and it drives fine to me and its aligned within spec. Many members have this set up as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Toyotec Rear 2in AAL w/ front 5100's set at 1.75. I just had them put on today and on th drive home it seemed to have some vibrations at around 40mph. I didn't notice it at any other speed. When I got home I look at the CV angles it the whole front axles appeared to be completely flat. I stood infront of my truck about 25 feet or so and the front tires kinda look like they are closer at the bottom then they are at the top. I did have an alignment done. Is any of this stuff normal? Should I be worried?