1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

KMC XD Addicts in the winter or run OEM?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by JackedTaco, May 27, 2010.

1. May 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    JackedTaco

JackedTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    USA, Earth...
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Weathertech Mats, Thule rack custom install on bed caps. Foglite anytime mod. K&N air filter. Rear leaf TSB. Tinted passenger windows. TRD CAt Back exhaust. Bilstein 5100 front shocks at 1.75".
    Hi Guys, I have heard conflicting stories regarding wheels.
    Am I ok running my XD Addicts all winter in snow and salt or should I put on my OEM off road rims and save the XD wheels for better weather, spring summer and fall?
    Thanks for your input guys.

2. May 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    JackedTaco

JackedTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    USA, Earth...
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Weathertech Mats, Thule rack custom install on bed caps. Foglite anytime mod. K&N air filter. Rear leaf TSB. Tinted passenger windows. TRD CAt Back exhaust. Bilstein 5100 front shocks at 1.75".
    Bump, anyone???

3. May 27, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Well there going to get chipped a little either way, but I would run them anyways. How cold does USA, Earth get in the winter, cold enough to damage them?

4. May 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    I've always heard that the mag chloride they put down on the roads during winter is murder on alloy wheels. I don't personally have experience with this issue. A guy at my work changes his wheels seasonally for this very reason though.

5. May 28, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    crazybayman

crazybayman Oh 'eah

Member:
    Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 4.0L V6 Access Cab Standard
    AutoStart, Sirius Satellite Radio, 16x8 Moto Metal 955s, 265/75/16 Duratracs, Fog Lights, Skid plate
    Around here (Newfouundland), our winters are quite harsh, though mild. That results in a lot of freezing rain, sleet and slush, in addition to the snow. Because of this, they use a lot of salt (both granules and brine) in the city to keep the roads as ice-free as possible. This can be murder on alloys, especially when they get little chips from sand (used on roads outside the city) and the salt gets inside and corrodes the aluminum. In fact many people take off their summer alloys and buy cheap, black steel rims to use in the winter to protect their alloys, which I did for the 4 banger car I last had. Its very common to see cars and trucks here ripping around town in those black steelies all winter long.

I've been running the 16" steel wheels until now, as I have a set of moto metals on the way. At some point during the winter there's a good chance I"ll probably take the motos off and put the old steelies back on with winter tires. Although, I'll have Duratracs on the motos, so I'll probably see how they handle our lovely winters for a little while, anyways.

I've only had the truck for 2 winters, and already my steelies are starting to get little rust spots. Pretty corrosive environment, to say the least.

So yeah, it couldn't hurt to run your OEMs during the winter, in order to protect the Addicts, if you don't mind possibly corroding your OEMS. Alternatively, you could sell the OEMs, get cheaper steelies and make a few bucks in the process.

6. May 28, 2010 at 5:27 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    salt and chrome don't mix, all I can advise is keep'em clean.

7. May 28, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    My oem alloys are 8 years young and still shine when cleaned .:cool::cool:

Prevenitive maintainence has kept both truck and wheels looking new...BUT for conveinence I am looking at a second set of wheels/tires ..;)...Keep my AT's for long mpg trips and MT's for winter/off-road..

Products Discussed in

To Top