1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

used cooper stt

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by RockyTacoma, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jun 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    RockyTacoma

RockyTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dojo
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma trd
    stock
    local guy is selling set of used cooper stt for $500 they are 265/70/16. brand new, these tire are selling for $250 each!. they have about 8k on them and 1 tire has plug in it from nail he ran over. is this good deal?

2. Jun 1, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Probably a decent deal, I'd try for $400. Make sure they look evenly worn individually and as a set: mudders can get way out of balance real fast if something was off with the suspension/alignment and you'll be in the tire shop every week trying to get them to stop wobbling.

I know from experience that buying used mudders can be a gamble if they are worn unevenly. There is alot of tread and inconsistancies can be hard to find until they're on the truck... then you just have headaches.

I wouldn't worry about the plug, nothing wrong with that; if you are concerned just have a patch put on during installation.

I'm currentlly running those tires and am very pleased with them. So far they are showing excellent wear compared to my old standbys, BFG Mud 1, but then again I've only had them for a couple months.

Do your research: why are they being sold at 8k, how were they driven, where, what they came off of... there is a good chance the seller will tell you they were just used to go to the grocery store or some bs, just see if your 'bs' radar goes off and give the tires a thorough inspection anyway; bring a ruler and do several random tread depth measurements on different tires, check for any slices or sidewall damage UP CLOSE, check the lettering for excessive wear, if he's the type to skid his tires along curbs than he probably didn't take good care of them, can also indicate if/how they were driven off-road.

I hope they work out for you, if they don't look great then walk away, they aren't worth the headache if they're not in great condition.

Products Discussed in

To Top