1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

265/75/16 drifting issue?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by matth, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Jun 4, 2010 at 1:33 AM
    matth

matth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bella Vista, AR
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Reg Cab
    About a month ago i upgreded from the stock 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 BFG AT's on the stock wheels.

The problem is now the truck seems to want to drift from side to side at high speeds. Also when going over bumps on the interstate the steering wheel shakes and it feels like the tire is coming off the ground.
    2 questions:

What is the stock 16in wheel's width?

Do you think going to a wider wheel would help?

:)

2. Jun 4, 2010 at 1:55 AM
    matth

matth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bella Vista, AR
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Reg Cab
    No bumps or potholes -

It's been doing it from day one. I even took it back to the tire place and they rebalanced and said there was nothing wrong with the tires.

3. Jun 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM
    matth

matth [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bella Vista, AR
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Reg Cab
    I'm talking 75 on the interstate. What i can't figure is that with the stock tires i could set the cruise at 75 and not touch the wheel and it would drive perfectly straight.

Thanks for the advice :)

4. Jun 4, 2010 at 4:14 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    What's your tire pressure at? I set mine at 32 front and 29 rear. I know it sounds low but that's what Toyota recomends. That should soften up your ride and help it drive straight. These trucks do tend to wander a little bit. There is a bulletin out on this issue. Try the air pressure drop first and see if that helps.

5. Jun 4, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

The pressure that Toyota "recommends" only applies to the stock brand/style of tire in the stock size.
    Use the chalk line test to determine best pressure for tires all the time- Gives you the best baseline for your vehical...with your gear and weight and everything.

6. Jun 4, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    The vehicles weight has alot to do with the recommended tire pressure. The bfg at's have a high max air pressure but you don't need to run that much pressure. The 32 front 29 rear is a good baseline and you can tweek it from there. If your pulling a trailer or hauling something heavy then you'll need to increase you air pressure.

7. Jun 7, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I might be off here... but you said rebalance... what about getting a realignment?

Products Discussed in

To Top