Notices

265/75/16 drifting issue?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
matth is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matth's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16 drifting issue?

About a month ago i upgreded from the stock 245/75/16 to 265/75/16 BFG AT's on the stock wheels.

The problem is now the truck seems to want to drift from side to side at high speeds. Also when going over bumps on the interstate the steering wheel shakes and it feels like the tire is coming off the ground.
2 questions:

What is the stock 16in wheel's width?

Do you think going to a wider wheel would help?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
matth's Tacoma Gallery
No bumps or potholes -

It's been doing it from day one. I even took it back to the tire place and they rebalanced and said there was nothing wrong with the tires.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #3
matth's Tacoma Gallery
I'm talking 75 on the interstate. What i can't figure is that with the stock tires i could set the cruise at 75 and not touch the wheel and it would drive perfectly straight.

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
What's your tire pressure at? I set mine at 32 front and 29 rear. I know it sounds low but that's what Toyota recomends. That should soften up your ride and help it drive straight. These trucks do tend to wander a little bit. There is a bulletin out on this issue. Try the air pressure drop first and see if that helps.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
What's your tire pressure at? I set mine at 32 front and 29 rear. I know it sounds low but that's what Toyota recomends. That should soften up your ride and help it drive straight. These trucks do tend to wander a little bit. There is a bulletin out on this issue. Try the air pressure drop first and see if that helps.

The pressure that Toyota "recommends" only applies to the stock brand/style of tire in the stock size.
Use the chalk line test to determine best pressure for tires all the time- Gives you the best baseline for your vehical...with your gear and weight and everything.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
The vehicles weight has alot to do with the recommended tire pressure. The bfg at's have a high max air pressure but you don't need to run that much pressure. The 32 front 29 rear is a good baseline and you can tweek it from there. If your pulling a trailer or hauling something heavy then you'll need to increase you air pressure.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matth View Post
No bumps or potholes -

It's been doing it from day one. I even took it back to the tire place and they rebalanced and said there was nothing wrong with the tires.
I might be off here... but you said rebalance... what about getting a realignment?