Notices

Confused about these rims???

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
matt8981 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matt8981's Tacoma Gallery
Confused about these rims???

So these are the rims I like for my Taco. The only problem is I don't know anything about rims at all. I have been reading a lot of posts by people and I am now more confused than I was when I started. In 2 weeks I am putting on a pro-comp 3" lift with spacers and an aal. I also got the front diff drop and shock extenders for the rear shocks and 1-1/4" spidertrax wheel spacers. I have a 2010 TRD sport double cab and want to know what backspacing and width I should get. Here are the options:

6X5.5 bolt 17X8.5 size 4.5 Backspacing or I can get 5-3/8 backspacing

or

6X5.5 bolt 18X9 size 4.5 Backspacing or I can get 5 backspacing

Which do you recommend? and which ones will fit with the mods I am putting on? I would like to stick with the 17's because I don't want to get new tires but if the 18X9's will fit better then I will.

Oh yeah and what do you think about the rims? they are American Racing 1091's Diamond cut finish. Anyone ever seen these on a truck before?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
So you just wanna run stock size tires? Do you ever plan on getting bigger tires?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
If you get aftermarket wheels then you won't need the spidertrax
Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSupreem View Post
If you get aftermarket wheels then you won't need the spidertrax
Well, he listed two diff. backspacings for both rims. To clarify, if you buy the rims with the 4.5" BS, you won't need wheel spacers to run 33's. If you buy the ones with more BS (5-5.5) than that, you will need the wheel spacers.

So I'd buy the 4.5" BS and ditch the wheel spacers.

Any chance of talking you out of the front coil spacers for something better?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Well, he listed two diff. backspacings for both rims. To clarify, if you buy the rims with the 4.5" BS, you won't need wheel spacers to run 33's. If you buy the ones with more BS (5-5.5) than that, you will need the wheel spacers.

So I'd buy the 4.5" BS and ditch the wheel spacers.

Any chance of talking you out of the front coil spacers for something better?

X2

Avoid the coil spacers if you can.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
considering the wheels and the size the OP wants to go with, i doubt the truck will be used offroad, so coil spacers will do just fine for its life on the streets...

unless going for the full bling factor and money is no object, then yah, aim for the high end suspension...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
matt8981 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
matt8981's Tacoma Gallery
It's just going to be a street truck except the occasional job site I have to go to ( I sell to contractor) so I am not looking for anything fancy I just want it to stand out a little next to stock trucks around town. I live in Central Florida so there isn't a lot of offroading going on down here and it's a 2WD. I have another vehicle for offroading.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
if taking it to job sites, i would go with 17s... 18s may not give you enough rubber to protect the wheels in rough uneven construction terrain, ya know?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Htnswches is on a distinguished road

Name: E
Htnswches's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for 6X5.5 bolt 17X8.5 size 4.5 Backspacing,that's what I have. Gives it a little wider stance,you can run stock tires,might look a little funky but when you lift you can run bigger tires,like 285's with minor trimming
Old 06-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Don't let these guys sway you...you can still get plenty of tire on 18x9's.

Pretty sure I could go on any construction site I want.