Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

265/70-17 Rubbing after Wheel Spacers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
265/70-17 Rubbing after Wheel Spacers

I have an OME lift with stock wheels and Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/70-17 tires. Last week I put on Spirdertrax wheel spacers (1.25") because it seems to make sense to widen the track when you increase the center of mass and roll centers...to hopefully get a more stable ride than without them. I see ToyTec includes papers stating something similar with their lift kits.

Before the spacers I had no rubbing. Now I get rubbing on the right front tire when backing up and turning, and both front tires when turning and hitting bumps (like pulling into my driveway).

I went with 265s instead of 285s because research showed I wouldn't have to trim my fender wells.

Other than trimming the wheel liner or removing the spacers do I have any options? Would Bushwhacker flares take care of this?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
did you take your mud flaps off... because you shouldnt be rubbing with 265s
Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No I didn't take my mudflaps off. I didn't know that was part of the requirements. You are saying it is the mud flap rubbing?
Old 06-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
misterquad's Tacoma Gallery
I will upset several people but just take the spacers off.

I personally don't like the spacers on a vehicle because I worry about safety.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
No I didn't take my mudflaps off. I didn't know that was part of the requirements. You are saying it is the mud flap rubbing?
its just might be...
go take a look, when I had my 265s at stock height I rubbed on the mud flaps reversing and thats with new wheels too.

I've never heard of a case where 265 did not rub on the mud flaps...especially when backing up
Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
AZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZtacoma05 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
AZtacoma05's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ You are entitled to your opinion but the OP obviously wants to keep em..

Ya take off your mud flaps.. Its not really the mudflap that rubs but the piece that attaches it to the inside of your wheel well. If you look toward the inside bottom corner of the piece that holds on the flap you'll probably see where its rubbing. I'm running 275/65r17 with no lift and no spacers and had to remove them and I've still rubbed a little bit of my fender off but nothing noticeable from the outside. Also this should also be for the front not the rear... and be aware of your local laws if you do decide to take them off as it may be illegal to drive without them as i believe it is here in AZ.. although you're most likely not going to get pulled over for not having them but if you don't cooperate when you get pulled over they may throw it on the ticket just cause.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Mine rub BAD on my wheel well plastic..... 1.5" All-Pro spacers.

Just take a Dremel to anything that rubs....
Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

Okay, thanks for the input. I will look closer at the flaps...I looked to see if I could see any marks on there, but maybe I didn't look close enough.

As for safety issues with spacers. My day job deals with designing mechanical components, some of which are mechanically similar to a wheel/axle assmebly. If torqued properly there should be no safety issues with the Spidertrax brand...it appears to be a very well designed product. Thank you for the concern though!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
misterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud ofmisterquad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Okay, thanks for the input. I will look closer at the flaps...I looked to see if I could see any marks on there, but maybe I didn't look close enough.

As for safety issues with spacers. My day job deals with designing mechanical components, some of which are mechanically similar to a wheel/axle assmebly. If torqued properly there should be no safety issues with the Spidertrax brand...it appears to be a very well designed product. Thank you for the concern though!
Cool - I am glad you understand the concerns - few do. They get themselves into trouble.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
I rub with the 265/70/17s Duratracs as well. In my case I have a 17x9 with 4.5 backspacing so it pushes the tires out further than stock wheels. I believe that's what's causing the rubbing. I took of the mud flaps and they rub less, but yes, they still do rub. In your case it might be the wheels spacers.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #11
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Anything does what its supposed to if its torqued correctly. Usually failures is due to incorrect installation.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
I was reading a thread on Expedition Portal last night and a Discount Tire store in Arizona refused service to this guy and refunded his money once they got the truck in the air and found spacers on it.

Based on my personal experience here in San Antonio, Discount and NTB won't service your truck with spacers on it.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
^I've heard (it's funny how we use the word "hear" or "heard" on forums) the same thing on here before.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #14

I did check with my Toyota dealer and they have "no concerns" with spacers. Of course my service adviser is an off road guy.