Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Spidertrax problem

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Spidertrax problem

I have just installed spidertrax wheel spacer front and rear.

At about 85km/h I started getting vibration at the wheel that got worse as I went faster.

So I pulled the front right spacer off and put the wheel back on to try and determine if it was a left or right problem. Test drive was good with no vibration with front right as stock and all others with spacers.

Then I cleaned up both surfaces and reinstalled taking extra care to gradually tighten the bolts all around to make sure it seated correctly. Test drive resulted in vibration, but possibly a little better than before.

So then I pulled the spacer off and swapped it out with one of rear spacers and reinstalled it on the front right. It still vibrates, but not until about 90km/h and not as bad but still enough to bother me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on what to try next?

Please keep arguments against wheel spacers out of this discussion.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
did u get the hub centric model?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
kram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the roughkram is a jewel in the rough
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
did u get the hub centric model?
Yes
Old 06-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
You've just moved your wheels out 1.25" without a realignment. Why wouldn't it vibrate?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
You've just moved your wheels out 1.25" without a realignment. Why wouldn't it vibrate?
Can anyone else comment on this? I had heard that an alignment was not necessary from others that have installed these. The above sounds reasonable, but I don't want to get an alignment if it's not the problem. Funny thing is that it didn't have any vibration or alignment problems when I was ripping down the highway at 100km/h with only 1 spacer on the left and nothing on the right which I thought for sure would fark the alignment.

I'm sure there's a lot of people here with these spacers, particularly since we just had a group buy. Can some people please comment if they have had any problems or not. Or whether they needed an alignment and if that fixed vibration.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the original TRD alloy wheels, or aftermarket?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyScottETC View Post
Sorry, you Sir are incorrect. One would not need a wheel alignment after the installation of wheel spacers. They have nothing to do with caster/camber.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Do you have the original TRD alloy wheels, or aftermarket?
Original TRD Offroad Alloys
Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
Original TRD Offroad Alloys
It's possible your tires wore unevenly with only one spacer on. And now that they've both got spacers, they're vibrating.

How much pressure do you have in your tires?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
retighten and recheck your work
then check out your tires for uneven wear
Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you Torque both the wheel spacer and the wheel properly. The other thing would be that that wheel/tire is not quite balanced. Rotate your wheel/tire front to back and see if it goes away.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
kram's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies.

I seem to have reduced the problem to an acceptable level.

I moved a spacer from the back to the front and reinstalled and retourqued both fronts with a torque wrench after lightly sanding the wheel and hub contact surfaces. I've had those damn things on and off a few times now with the factory jack and a hand wrench and what a pain in the ass that was. I'm glad that it's finally pretty much sorted. Very slight vibration now, but I'm not sure if I'm just being picky at this point due to focusing on it so I'm going to call it fixed and just enjoy driving it again.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Racer78 is on a distinguished road

Racer78's Tacoma Gallery
Mine have no issues. Other than the usual stuff when installing, I also cleaned the surface of the drum/hubs and put some anti seize on the contact surface of the spacers. Might help seat them?maybe not.. but mine are solid.