Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

255/85/16 or 285/75/16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
255/85/16 or 285/75/16

Morning Gents....

Just wanted to see if any of you could throw some insight my way about which tires I should get.
Ideas or thoughts on:

the look
the ride
the mpg
will it fit?
need spacer?
etc...

and if anyone has pictures of either of those on your truck, link those up please.

Cheers

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
NUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to behold

NUKEWORKER_69's Tacoma Gallery
I just got some 285/75/16 duratracks mounted on pro-comp 7089's yesterday and I freaking love them. The tires that we on the truck before were 265/85/16 super swampers and I didn't like them too much. Do you have a lift, and if so what kind? The SS were on stock 16x7 rims with my 3" lift and didn't rub, but the only way I got the 285s to work was because of the 4.5 BS on the 7089s.

It will boil down to what you can actually fit on yout truck, and what you think looks better. I personally think a little shorter but wider tire looks better than a little taller but skinner. You may vary. I will try to snap some pictures.

Ryan
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
NUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to beholdNUKEWORKER_69 is a splendid one to behold

Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Those are some sick tires nukworker 69, what are they?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
I vote skinny tall. i want some 255/85s theyre taller than 285/75s and lighter and you dont need after market ucas
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
255/85 toyo mt's will be my next tire purchase. so hopefully my hercs last until i can afford to regear for the 255's... bleh!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
read post 2
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM   #9

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
255/85 toyo mt's will be my next tire purchase. so hopefully my hercs last until i can afford to regear for the 255's... bleh!
you plan on 4.56 or 4.88

i think im going 4.88
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Wow I feel completely stupid
Old 06-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #11

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow I feel completely stupid
heh we all do it no biggy
Old 06-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks . I was going to go with the Grabber AT2's but the guy at discount called General and they said they would not be able to get any to AZ till late July so I just went with the duratracks. So far I am happy.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKEWORKER_69 View Post
Thanks . I was going to go with the Grabber AT2's but the guy at discount called General and they said they would not be able to get any to AZ till late July so I just went with the duratracks. So far I am happy.
How do they ride on the highway?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
How do they ride on the highway?
A hell of a lot better than the super swampers but thats not saying much lol. They ride fine, hardly any noise at all.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:59 AM   #15
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKEWORKER_69 View Post
I just got some 285/75/16 duratracks mounted on pro-comp 7089's yesterday and I freaking love them. The tires that we on the truck before were 265/85/16 super swampers and I didn't like them too much. Do you have a lift, and if so what kind? The SS were on stock 16x7 rims with my 3" lift and didn't rub, but the only way I got the 285s to work was because of the 4.5 BS on the 7089s.

It will boil down to what you can actually fit on yout truck, and what you think looks better. I personally think a little shorter but wider tire looks better than a little taller but skinner. You may vary. I will try to snap some pictures.

Ryan

The pictures of the 285/75/16 are beautiful.
I was going to put those on, with 3" lift.
What did you have to do to make the 285s work? 4.5 BS? spacers? sorry... my vocab and knowledge of rims/tires/lifts is amateur.

And the 255/85 is only a few 2/10" taller than 285/75. 32.9" vs. 33.1".... virtually the same height.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #16

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
The pictures of the 285/75/16 are beautiful.
I was going to put those on, with 3" lift.
What did you have to do to make the 285s work? 4.5 BS? spacers? sorry... my vocab and knowledge of rims/tires/lifts is amateur.

And the 255/85 is only a few 2/10" taller than 285/75. 32.9" vs. 33.1".... virtually the same height.
yea but 5weights the same as a 265/75, you dont need ucas, less trimming. less rolling resistant, etc
Old 06-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
less rolling resistant, etc
I'm not sure if that's true. I thought that initially but from some looking around on the internet, some made the case that while the tire is wider, the contact patch stays about the same because it's the weight of the vehicle that determines the patch size. The patch become wider but it's not as long as a skinnier tire.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #18

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I'm not sure if that's true. I thought that initially but from some looking around on the internet, some made the case that while the tire is wider, the contact patch stays about the same because it's the weight of the vehicle that determines the patch size. The patch become wider but it's not as long as a skinnier tire.
there are two factors to contact patch 1 is vehicle weight the other is tire pressure. at proper tire pressure the narrow tires have less contact patch. the pressure or weight is more concentrated. think about a bicycle. two people weigh the same amount. one is a road bike with skinny tire and the other is a mountian bike. the mountain bike works better in sand becuase it has more contact wider, street bike has skinny tires and suck in sand. skinny. Even though the same weight. Mt bike has 60psi road bike 100+psi therefore contact patch is different

point is it takes fewer psi in a wide tire to have flat contact.

Skinny road tires require higher pressure to support vehicle weight properly. with highly inflated tires the length of the contact patch should be the same as a wider tire the same diameter.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #19
MadeInMaine

EMS:
Do you guys think UCAs are a must with 285/75s?
What exactly do they do? Just help with stabilization? going fast around turns ?