Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Best clear coat for my wheels ??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
disk_55FL is on a distinguished road

Name: disk
disk_55FL's Tacoma Gallery
Question Best clear coat for my wheels ??

Here's the deal.
New Mickey Thompson Classics.
They are "polished" Aluminum.....no chrome or clear coat. They came with a disclaimer...suggesting frequent cleaning / or removing in the winter where salt is used.
Guess what...I want to use these this winter with my snow tires.

Id like to find something permanent or semi-permanent.......wax may fall short.

So....any recommendations or suggestions for the best sealer or clear coating to protect these ?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 AM   #3

Talking

Thanks for the bump !

I did some research ....found that there appears to be a product.
Two part ( similar to epoxy ) clear can be brushed on ( they claim it leaves no brush marks ) and sounds very durable.

It's made by Por15 ....GLISTEN PC

Anyone have any experience with this stuff ?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if you're still following your thread but I was wondering how this turned out for you. If you have an update I'd love to hear it.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #5

Yep still here.

I ended up using the Por 15 ( 2 part - epoxy like ) clear coat. Expensive ! I bought the quart size....way to much for the 4 wheels. The smaller size would have worked. I did use the prep solution they sell....and the wheels were new.

I was concerned about it setting up before I had all of the wheels coated so I wasn't as careful as I should have been. Where I put it on a little heavy I did get some small " curtains " ....not a big deal for me. They were right on when they say that it does not leave brush marks.....as it cures it just sort of blends the brush strokes together. I was only interested in preventing oxidation.....I'm not into the shiny polished show wheel look. They look good ....hard to tell they were coated unless you get within touching distance. My goal was to never go back and polish / wax, etc. so far it looks the same as the day I put it on.

I coated the bead areas also ....I've have Aluminum wheels corrode between the tire and wheel before and develop leaks.
test,
This stuff has been on since July......so for so good, hardly a longevity test, and I'm more interested in the results 10 years from now.

If I had to do it again.....I'd consider spraying it on, but that would be more $$......so maybe not

Hope this helps.....sorry for the long winded reply.....but feel free to post if there's any thing I didn't cover.

Disclaimer : First time user for this stuff .........and no I don't sell it ( or anything ) !!!!