Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What would you rather have?

View Poll Results: What rim/tire setup do you prefer?
20's with 285/55 4 3.03%
18's with 285/65 33 25.00%
16's with 285/75 95 71.97%
Wait it out and get 20's and 16's 0 0%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
eodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud ofeodrunner has much to be proud of
Navy: EOD
Name: Jerron
eodrunner's Tacoma Gallery
What would you rather have?

If you only had one set of wheels and tires, as most of us can only afford one set, would you rather have 20's with lower profile tires, or 16's with a high sidewall, or 18's with a good mixture. Note that most of the driving will be on the street. The only other driving that the Taco will do is on dirt trails, and sand. So, what would you all prefer? As far as for me, I'm still undecided.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
kinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinetik873 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GM1(sw/exw), USS Tortuga 01-04, NSWDG 04-09.
Name: Josh
kinetik873's Tacoma Gallery
16's with a good A/T tire. I think the 20's with low pro tires look awful on our trucks. My.02
Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
I CANT SPELL SO DONT BITCH
mwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwild is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwild's Tacoma Gallery
20s are to big imo. I really like the look of 18s with 285.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwild View Post
20s are to big imo. I really like the look of 18s with 285.
Just so this doesn't get taken out of context...ALL the tire options were 285's. That's how wide the trade is. The second number is the sidewall height.

And I like 16's with lots of sidewall- More compliant over bumps and potholes and more area to flatten out on the sand.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I like the 16s myself The wife has enough trouble getting in and out. of the truck
Old 06-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #8
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
16s...

More tire less wheel
Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetik873 View Post
16's with a good A/T tire. I think the 20's with low pro tires look awful on our trucks. My.02
x2. Well at least on prerunners and 4x4s. but on x-runners and dropped reg cabs they look cool.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 AM   #12
vermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedvermintrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

vermintrex's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't vote since you left out probably the second most popular choice 285/70/17's. A nice compromise for those of us that want a little more wheel, but still want to survive offroad.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #13
Mad Fisherman
DaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shedDaCapt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
DaCapt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
16s...

More tire less wheel
I agree
Old 06-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #14
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermintrex View Post
I didn't vote since you left out probably the second most popular choice 285/70/17's. A nice compromise for those of us that want a little more wheel, but still want to survive offroad.
x2

Agreed, I love the 17's on my sport with 285's. Enough sidewall for flex but not so bling bling sized like the 20's.

BTW 20's look ridiculous on a Tacoma IMO.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I actually vote for 17's. With 33's, they look like the best setup IMO.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
Tacotronn
TacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TacoTron's Tacoma Gallery
For 285s I would go with 16s any other tire size bigger tho I would go with 18 max no 20sss
Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #17
sweetTXtaco is on a distinguished road
sweetTXtaco's Tacoma Gallery
16's for sure
Old 06-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
285/75/16's here. no complaints.