Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Studs to short !!!!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
west32 is on a distinguished road
west32's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Studs to short !!!!

So I finally got my new wheels and tires Monsters wrapped in 285 60 18 cooper zeon ltz. I absolutely love the look but my stock studs are too short. The lug nuts are only grabbing 3 or 4 threads I checked local part stores and the all say that they only have stock length studs. So if anyone has delt with this problem I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Longer lug nuts will work too.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
west32's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick response but the tire shop only gave me the option of longer studs how will longer lugnuts help when there is only a limited amount of stud showing
Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by west32 View Post
Thanks for the quick response but the tire shop only gave me the option of longer studs how will longer lugnuts help when there is only a limited amount of stud showing
The nuts being longer, will thread on more of the studs.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel studs:
http://www.hunt4steve.com/05TacoExtLn.html

You can find the parts on RockAuto.com. I'm running them on my truck with no issues.

For longer lug nuts, check out gorilla-auto.com
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
west32's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i understand that a longer lug nut will have more contact with a stud but my stud is only has 3 or 4 threads exposed past the wheel and the lug nuts i have now are only able to contact those 3 or 4 threads i still dont see how a longer lug nut will give me any more contact i would just have the same amount of contact with just more unused lug nut right?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
yeah i understand that a longer lug nut will have more contact with a stud but my stud is only has 3 or 4 threads exposed past the wheel and the lug nuts i have now are only able to contact those 3 or 4 threads i still dont see how a longer lug nut will give me any more contact i would just have the same amount of contact with just more unused lug nut right?
They will go deeper into the stud well in the wheel.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Gorilla lugs that should work for you: 21138ET or 21138ETXL

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small.di....locks.page_13
Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post

+1, I am running these, they work great. Bought them from wheelers
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
west32's Tacoma Gallery
oh ok i see now do yall think that i should be fine with longer lug nuts alone or should i go the other route with longer studs as well
Old 06-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
oh ok i see now do yall think that i should be fine with longer lug nuts alone or should i go the other route with longer studs as well
One or the other.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #12

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do both, and put some large spikey things on the ends to deter people from drifting into your lane on the road!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
west32's Tacoma Gallery
alright i will probably go with the longer lug nuts thanks to everyone who responded to this thread this is what make this forum such a valuable learning tool
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do both, and put some large spikey things on the ends to deter people from drifting into your lane on the road!
+1 for spikes. Spikes are cool. I was thinking more like the dreadnaught from Death Race remake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifTSOavsL0
Old 06-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #15
What could go wrong?
Biff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to allBiff is a name known to all

Biff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

X2 - i have these as well, they have a taper that seats in the bolt hole, grabs way more threads. You get a special adapter for them too. Approximately $45 for 24.