Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Is 255/75 R16 bigger than 265/70R16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
ShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaLor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
ShaLor's Tacoma Gallery
Is 255/75 R16 bigger than 265/70R16

I am looking at buying a used 2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with TRD Off Road package. This particular truck comes with p255/75 R 16 tires on it. They look like they are bigger than the stock tires, but it seems like the stock tires on the Off Road package is supposed to be p265/70 R16.

Am I seeing things? They look bigger but the numbers indicate that it is a smaller tire to me. What will this change of tire size do for my fuel economy and torque etcetera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forums, but am more confused than when I started.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #2
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaLor View Post
I am looking at buying a used 2004 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 with TRD Off Road package. This particular truck comes with p255/75 R 16 tires on it. They look like they are bigger than the stock tires, but it seems like the stock tires on the Off Road package is supposed to be p265/70 R16.

Am I seeing things? They look bigger but the numbers indicate that it is a smaller tire to me. What will this change of tire size do for my fuel economy and torque etcetera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I searched the forums, but am more confused than when I started.
265/70R16 is roughly 30.6 in. in diameter and 255/75R16 is roughly 31.1 in. in diameter so it is slightly bigger. Shouldn't make a significant difference if anything. By the numbers it may seem like a smaller tire, but the first set of numbers (in this case 255) is the width in millimeters while the second set of numbers (75) is the tire's sidewall height as a percentage of its width (255 mm.) thus making it a taller, but not wider tire than the 265/70R16. Hope this helps!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #3
JCM_Buford is on a distinguished road
Name: JC
JCM_Buford's Tacoma Gallery
I may be wrong, been there before,but ....

I think the first number (255) is to the width of the tire. The second number is the of height compared to the width (75%).
That would yield (255)(.75) = 191.25 for the first and 186.9 for the second.

Yes the first is a little bigger for height of tire but not for tread width....
Old 06-26-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
yup^ ^ ^
Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 AM   #5
JCM_Buford is on a distinguished road
Name: JC
JCM_Buford's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Steven... It's 5:16 AM here in Georgia,, Don't you guys sleep out there in Southern California??
Old 06-26-2010, 03:20 AM   #6
Hoogie boogie!
Stupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shedStupid hurts. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
Stupid hurts.'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stupid hurts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM_Buford View Post
Hey Steven... It's 5:16 AM here in Georgia,, Don't you guys sleep out there in Southern California??
Haha, my sleep schedule has been thrown off lately. I'm actually just about to hit the hay.