Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Yay or Nay on wheel spacers

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Name: Curt
SteelRain's Tacoma Gallery
Yay or Nay on wheel spacers

Ok guys, when I bought the wheels and tires back in May of 09, I was under the impression going up in size, would result in the tires sticking out a little. They don't obviously because of the type of wheel and back spacing the guy at Discount Tire ordered for me. They are 285/70 R17's. Are spacers a good idea to remedy this and what are the costs for all 4? Is this even a good idea?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
What are the specs on the wheels you're running? They say 4.5 backspacing will make the wheels flush with the fender flares. If they stick out any further you risk getting your paint chipped up from shit flying off the tires.

Spidertrax is what most people use for spacers.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Veteran Redleg
SteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelRain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Arizona Army National Guard C BATTERY 1/180TH Field Artillery and the Pinal County Sheriff's Office
Yes, I believe the backspacing is 4.5, I should double check. The tires are flush with my oem flares.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
But you want them out a little further for a more aggressive stance? If you get 1" spacers that would technically put you at a 3.5 backspacing. Thats a lot of tire exposed outside the truck.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #5

Firefighter:
Can you post a pic of your truck from the front and back to see how the tires/wheels sit?
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Veteran Redleg

I don't think I have any dead on front or rear shots in my gallery. I need to take some I guess.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
Veteran Redleg

And yes, I was thinking it would be a little more of an aggressive stance and possible more stability. Wondering about wheel bearing wear and tear though.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
get them, you shouldn't have any problems at all, plenty of people running spidertrax 1.25" spacers and loving it including me!!!!! get the look your going for man and be done with it. Nice truck BTW
Old 06-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
do you need them? Because your tires rub or what?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Redleg

My tires only rub in reverse...odd
Old 06-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt run spacers in fear of them cracking and losing a wheel. just me.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #12
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
i have 1.25 spacers on the front with 4.5" bs..it looks sweet
Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
i used to run spacers up front with no problems just to get a more aggresive look but i am going LT so i have no use for them anymore. Heres how they looked. I ran them with 4.5 backspacing.

They are 1.5"s. PM me if your interested
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery

Been running these for about a yr now...no problems and they've been punished. Costume made from a shop in Cali, hub centric, and what ever size you want. Dude said he makes em for 4x4's and drifters all day.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #15
mnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to beholdmnudo200827 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Michael
mnudo200827's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post

Been running these for about a yr now...no problems and they've been punished. Costume made from a shop in Cali, hub centric, and what ever size you want. Dude said he makes em for 4x4's and drifters all day.
What size are those? Who is this guy?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #16
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnudo200827 View Post
What size are those? Who is this guy?
Motor sport Tech or sumting...he said 1" was the smallest to cover stud but my wheels (FJ's) had little pockets on the backside for old studs to clear....so he made em 7/8" for me. Find out the boar on your wheels and he'll make em hub centric for ya.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
Motor sport Tech or sumting...he said 1" was the smallest to cover stud but my wheels (FJ's) had little pockets on the backside for old studs to clear....so he made em 7/8" for me. Find out the boar on your wheels and he'll make em hub centric for ya.

Here ya go...Click here