Why are some trucks higher?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
bearing01 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
bearing01's Tacoma Gallery
Why are some trucks higher?

Hey,

I'm still looking for my Tacoma. Some trucks I drive with aftermarket wheels are noticeably higher than trucks with stocks wheels. The higher trucks don't appear to have a lift.

I'm at the dealer yesterday and I compared two new trucks in the parking lot. One had LT285/70R17's on it while the other had P265/70R16's on it. The first truck appeared to be around 4" higher than the 2nd.

What gives? My hand calculation for extra tire radius, that should give higher lift, is only 1" difference. Why did the first truck appear that much taller?

I'm pretty sure the lifted truck was brand new. I don't think dealers install lifts on new trucks, do they?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
it had to be lifted to fit 28/70/17 tires

stock can fit 265/70/16
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Some dealers do install lifts on brand new trucks on their lot that they have for sale. My dealer installs the revtek lifts. They also do aftermarket upgrades like larger tires, sliders, etc and sell them as a special package...and charge BIGbucks! A brand new 2010 Tacoma on the lot the other day was all decked out and lifted...on the sticker they called it the "High Desert Package".
Old 06-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
kddc is on a distinguished road

kddc's Tacoma Gallery
A taller tire will also raise the frame off the ground that much more.