1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why are some trucks higher?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bearing01, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Jun 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    bearing01

bearing01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD V6 MT
    Hey,

I'm still looking for my Tacoma. Some trucks I drive with aftermarket wheels are noticeably higher than trucks with stocks wheels. The higher trucks don't appear to have a lift.

I'm at the dealer yesterday and I compared two new trucks in the parking lot. One had LT285/70R17's on it while the other had P265/70R16's on it. The first truck appeared to be around 4" higher than the 2nd.

What gives? My hand calculation for extra tire radius, that should give higher lift, is only 1" difference. Why did the first truck appear that much taller?

I'm pretty sure the lifted truck was brand new. I don't think dealers install lifts on new trucks, do they?

2. Jun 28, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    it had to be lifted to fit 28/70/17 tires

stock can fit 265/70/16

3. Jun 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Testosterone

4. Jun 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Some dealers do install lifts on brand new trucks on their lot that they have for sale. My dealer installs the revtek lifts. They also do aftermarket upgrades like larger tires, sliders, etc and sell them as a special package...and charge BIG:eek:bucks! A brand new 2010 Tacoma on the lot the other day was all decked out and lifted...on the sticker they called it the "High Desert Package".

5. Jun 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    kddc

kddc Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '10 Off Road
    kenwood dual band VHF radio, ARB bumper with fogs and bosch aux fogs.Warn M8000 winch, K&N Intake, Flowmaster dual exit exhuast, tool box, all-pro rock sliders, blue sea aux fuse block.
    A taller tire will also raise the frame off the ground that much more.

Products Discussed in

To Top