Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/)
-   -   Wheel Backspacing and Offset Info (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/102992-wheel-backspacing-offset-info.html)

tcBob 07-17-2010 01:37 PM

Wheel Backspacing and Offset Info

Source: CustomTacos

Alloy Wheel Cross-Section:
http://imgur.com/4P1bp.jpg

Before mounting a set of aftermarket wheels, there are some dynamics involved with fitment that are best to understand first.

1. Wheel Diameter. This is the diameter of the wheel. Stock wheels are commonly 15 or 16 inch diameter. This dimension is usually in 1 increments (i.e. 15, 16, 17) but some manufacturers offer 16.5, which is rare.

2. Wheel Width. This is the width of the wheel, measured inside the outer lip of the wheel. This dimension is usually in 1/2 increments (i.e. 7.5, 8)

3. Wheel Center. This is the center of the wheel in relation to the width.

4. Offset. The distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub.

4.1 Zero Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is at the wheel center.

4.2. Negative Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is behind (or inboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on standard rear-wheel-drive vehicles and on so-called reversed rims. (Diagram below shows negative offset)

4.3 Positive Offset. Indicates the mounting surface is in front of (or outboard) the centerline of the rim. This is often found on front-wheel-drive vehicles. Stock Tacoma wheels have Positive offset.

5. Backspacing. The distance from the mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel. This measurement is closely related to offset (without actually measuring, backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4] ).

6. Centerbore. The centerbore of a wheel is the size of the machined hole on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of the car. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned, minimizing the chance of a vibration. This measurement may be critical to clear the hubs of a 4WD.

7. Bolt Circle. Also known as PCD (Pattern Circle Diameter). The bolt circle represents the diameter of an imaginary circle that goes through the center of the bolt holes. 4x2 Tacoma Bolt Circle: 5 lug on 4.5 PCD; 4x4/Prerunner Tacoma Bolt Circle: 6 lug on 5.5 PCD.

Cape Codder 07-17-2010 01:47 PM

Thank You
Diagrams are the Best
(Picture's Worth a Thousand Words)

supremetaco2 07-17-2010 08:31 PM

what exactly is the purpose of backspacing? what does it determine? how you mount the tire on the wheel or something like that?

pittim 07-17-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremetaco2 (Post 1975906)
what exactly is the purpose of backspacing? what does it determine? how you mount the tire on the wheel or something like that?

backspacing is the distance from where the wheel mounts to the surface of the brake assembly to the outside of the wheel.

suppose the width of your front axle from brake to brake is 60 inches.

now, you have two different sets of wheels. one is a 16x8 with 5" bs, the other is a 16x8 with 3" bs.

when mounting the 5" bs wheels, the distance between the outside of the wheels will be 66". when mounting the 3" bs wheels, the distance between the outside of those wheels will be 70".

Ace83 07-19-2010 11:52 AM

i used to dig this info on the net before.. nice to have it here

Loudpedal 07-19-2010 11:56 AM

Great sticky, bob. Interested to see if it will cut down on the number of "will this fit?" threads.

DethTaco 08-01-2010 07:08 PM

Ok. /deep breathe
The scrub radius may/may not change with a 4" backspaced wheel. Right? Depends on how the wheel is made?
But it will definately change by adding spacers.
The larger scrub radius will put more stress on steering bits and wear bearings faster.

So how much is too much and how do I figure out my scrub radius with the wheel/tire combo and spacers?
Not too certain that I understand the equation in the original post. I have tried... Trust me.
You said: Mounting surface to mounting surface on the axle is 60".
16x8 wheel with 5" offset.
Wheel width= W
Offset= O
W / 2 = 4 + O = 9

Why is the measurement from the outside of each wheel now 66" ? Wouldn't it be 69"?

I gotta nail this part down before adding in the spacers...
And how much is too much scrub radius?

pittim 08-01-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DethTaco (Post 2022480)
16x8 wheel with 5" offset.
Wheel width= W
Offset= O
W / 2 = 4 + O = 9

a 5" offset is HUGE. Look at the diagram again. Offset is from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting surface. Backspace is from the inside edge to the mounting surface. Backspace is typically measured in inches, offset typical in millimeters.

backspacing is about equal to [Wheel Width / 2] + [Offset] + [about 1/4]

So,

BS = (WW/2) + (O) + .25

For a 8" wide wheel with 5" BS

5 = 4 + O + .25

O = .75", or +19mm

So, the mounting surface is ~.75" in front of the centerline of this particular example.

If I could draw something up in CAD on my laptop everything would be easier

DethTaco 08-02-2010 02:17 AM

Ok I think I got it now.
So what is too much scrub radius?
I'm looking at a Fabtech 6" IFS suspension lift which calls for a 4" backspace wheel.
My plan was to use spacers on the front to get some turning radius back once all is installed.
From what I've been reading, a large scrub radius is correctable by adjusting caster/camber?
I'm really trying hard to do this lift right. Turning out to be allot for a first time lift.

DethTaco 08-03-2010 03:33 AM

Bumpt.

98tacoma27 08-03-2010 05:09 AM

Another good resource

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

moelov 09-14-2010 06:55 AM

What amount of back spacing would I need on Stock Steelies with 285's 75?

Thanks.

98tacoma27 09-14-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moelov (Post 2170740)
What amount of back spacing would I need on Stock Steelies with 285's 75?

Thanks.

You will have to get spacers if you plan on sticking with the steelies. Spidertrax 1.25"

http://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hub-Centric-Spacer

moelov 09-14-2010 07:01 AM

Ok, thanks. I though it was 1.5. But rather have the 1.25.

Now I cant find a thread with some pics with this setup, any leads?

Finally is it worth it or bite the bullet and get new wheels? Just have not found anything that I preferred.

Thanks again.

98tacoma27 09-14-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moelov (Post 2170753)
Ok, thanks. I though it was 1.5. But rather have the 1.25.

Now I cant find a thread with some pics with this setup, any leads?

Finally is it worth it or bite the bullet and get new wheels? Just have not found anything that I preferred.

Thanks again.

Well, that's all personal preference. Figure you only need spacers for the front so theres $100. Or if you want to even the look out, $200 for all four corners. But, if you go the new wheel route, you can get 16 x 8 for $78 a piece from wheelers. (cheapest I know of)

mainland_newfie 10-03-2010 04:57 PM

so we all know, I'm half stupid, how much offset is there on the 07's so I know for judging what kind of new rims I can throw in my truck

fsbrain03 10-16-2010 08:10 PM

Alright. How important is the offset? Someone told me that I need at least 4.5 backspace, and at least 12 as an offset.

I am looking at wheels with 4.5 backspace, and 0 offset. How important is that offset?

pittim 10-16-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsbrain03 (Post 2286577)
Alright. How important is the offset? Someone told me that I need at least 4.5 backspace, and at least 12 as an offset.

I am looking at wheels with 4.5 backspace, and 0 offset. How important is that offset?

https://www.rsracing.com/images/tech-wheeloffset.gif

fsbrain03 10-16-2010 09:21 PM

^yes. I see that it's 0. Is that gonna affect anything on my truck? Why would te guy tell me 4.5 backspace, and 12 offset? Is he just trying to sell some wheels?

pittim 10-16-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsbrain03 (Post 2286770)
^yes. I see that it's 0. Is that gonna affect anything on my truck? Why would te guy tell me 4.5 backspace, and 12 offset? Is he just trying to sell some wheels?

You cant have 2 wheels that are the same width and backspacing, but have different offsets.

Were the wheels you were looking at and the ones hes trying to sell same everything?