1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help!! Stock Wheel Painting Went Wrong!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by IluvTEA, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Help TW!

After reading all of the threads about painting stock rims, (and receiving permission from the boss) I decided to take the plunge yesterday to paint my stock O/R rims.

I got the 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, the green scotch-brite pads, self-etching primer and Rustoleum flat black paint.

[​IMG]

My wife and I spent 2.5 hours sanding the rims and then we cleaned them real good with soap and water and then again with denatured alcohol.

We went to 5 stores and couldn't find any Rustoleum self-etching primer. The guy at NAPA said that they had Duplicolor S.E.P. but the stuff we got was much better quality. So we spent the extra $5 and got the good stuff. We put 2 coats of the primer on (gray in color). Then we did 2-3 coats of the flat black paint. we followed all of the directions on the cans and this is what we get 20 hours later (the paint can says to wait 24 hrs for full curing).

I don't know any other way to describe it other than that it is fuzzy. When we rub our finger on it, the paint kinda rolls off.
    [​IMG]

You can see in the pic below the primer showing through where I very gently rubbed my finger.

[​IMG]

The pic below shows a spot on the back of the rim where I rubbed a bit harder and the paint rolled off.

[​IMG]

Did this happen to any one else? Is it normal? I don't want to get the wheels back on the truck and it look like crap and have to redo it. Should I wash the paint off and try to repaint it? Is the paint bad?

On a good note, the center caps that my wife did turned out awesome!! We used the same painting technique and the paint is coming off the same way.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!

2. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    jacob_wood

jacob_wood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Center caps look badass! My best advice would be maybe another coat or so of black and just let it sit. Not too sure if that would help or not, but that's what I would do myself.

3. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    yotanator

yotanator Not your average girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Custom built and painted grill, iPod interface, TRD shift knob, TRD cat back exhaust, Flowmaster muffler, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radials, blacked out emblems, 3" Daystar Lift, Halo headlights, Hunter 4x4 bull bar, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, rooftop light bar, KC daylighters
    Hhhhmmm....the only thing I can think of is maybe there was still some residue from the sanding? I would wait for it to dry completely, sand them down a little more, and then repaint. Maybe use that keyboard dust off stuff or an air compressor to make sure there is no residue from sanding and whatnot. I hope that helps

4. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Thanks Jacob and Kaite!

I tried adding extra coats last night and it kept getting worse.

I'm not sure if its a cleaning issue. The primer went on like a charm and had no problems with fuzzy-ing up.

If I sand it down will I have to re-primer it?

Thanks again for your help!

5. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Custom built and painted grill, iPod interface, TRD shift knob, TRD cat back exhaust, Flowmaster muffler, 285/75/R16 Mickey Thompson Baja Radials, blacked out emblems, 3" Daystar Lift, Halo headlights, Hunter 4x4 bull bar, 1 1/2 wheel spacers, rooftop light bar, KC daylighters
    You can re-primer, but I don't know if it's a must or not. Definitely wait until you do any more painting because it will do that funky orange peel effect if the layer beneath isn't completely cured.

6. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam Retrofit Club!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    That is because the of two things.

1. The wheels were still covered in some kind of residue. All the soap and water is nice, but denatured alcohol has caused me problems in the past. Just soap and water.

2. Rustoleum, I have had that happen several times with Rustoleum. Use duplicolor or Krylon.

Just my two cents.

You have to start over. Their isnt a good base their. When I did mine, i just washed them and painted. No sanding or anything fancy. Not even primer. Its been about a year or so and Its holding up real well.

7. Jul 25, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    jacob_wood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Not too sure on that but it seems like it might be the best option to sand it down a bit and repaint it a tad.

8. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    I used water to clean the mud and road junk off, then mineral spirits to clean after I did the sanding. I had good luck using the same flat black Rustoleum, but it can be touchy if you don't wait long enough between coats, including the primer.

9. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    lookylookitzadam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    Yea, the rough flakey texture you are getting is due to poor adhesion. Sand it down, and keep the cleaning to basic soap and water, and you should be good to go. The most important coat is the first coat, since its adhering to the wheel.

10. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for your help!

Chris is running to the store to get new paint right now. Which kind should he get? Rustoleum? Krylon? Duplicolor?

-Chris's wife :)

11. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    I've had this happen with rustoleum a couple of times, generally when it goes on too heavy initially. Maybe try lighter coats or try another paint.

12. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    lookylookitzadam

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 DC OffRoad
    I have never had a problem with Duplicolor wheel paint, but others havent had issues with Rustoleum, so its a matter of choice.

However, my vote is for Duplicolor wheel paint.

13. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    jacob_wood

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Jose, CA (Nor-Cal)
    Vehicle:
    2010 SSM DCLB
    Krylon or Duplicolor doesn't specifically matter. Good luck, and great work on the center caps!

14. Jul 25, 2010 at 4:24 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    It almost looks like its overspray. I've had that happen before when painting something. You can wipe it off with your fingers.

Sand them down again and start over. Take your time and do many LIGHT coats.

By the way, tell the wife those center caps look amazing!

15. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Thank you all for your help again!!

We just finished the new paint job and it worked MUCH better!

We were actually spraying TOO light which was the problem. We found this out when we started painting with the dupli color and the issue was still occurring. We decided to go ahead and try to paint a little heavier and it worked amazingly! :)

Here are the new pictures. We redid the center caps as well, they look even better than before :)

-Chris's wife

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    IluvTEA

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Also Chris told me to put on here that OReilly's has a deal going on until Tuesday for the duplicolor general spray paint- buy one get one free.

17. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    looks great...
    good work to you both

18. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Looks good. Good tire choice too lol.

19. Jul 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Wish my GF liked doing things like this with me.

Wheels look good.

20. Jul 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    yotanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Sonora, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4WD
    Great job guys! :D Glad it turned out

Products Discussed in

To Top