1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

painting my wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tnj, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    tnj

tnj [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tom and jane
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 TACOMA SPORT PIRITE MICA
    2013 Tacoma sport
    i am about to paint my wheels on my 07,can anyone got advice about the steps and material i need,like sandpaper and primer?

2. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Personally, I'd go powdercoat for durability.

3. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Use the Search button. If you type in paint wheels, you'll get like 17 threads. Should be able to find an answer there.

4. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    youd be surprised how durable a good paint job will be on a set of wheels

i rarely see threads about paint bubbling/cracking/discoloring/etc and people being upset at the results

my old wheels were painted and i wheeled the junk of of them...scraped them on rocks...had them in the mud...pressure washed them...it held up just fine for the better part of 2 years before i sold them

5. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    98Tacoma

98Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs
    i painted mine and turned out great. depends on the condition of the wheel i had to use a wire wheels to clean mine then use some fine sand paper. after you get all of the rough stuff and smooth the wheel use some acetone or something to clean the wheel of all dirt. them use some good primer just one or two light coats. then use your perferred paint for the top layer about 3 coats but give good amount of time to dry between coats. plus sit them in the sun so the paint will bake into it.

[​IMG]

6. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    Only advice I could give would be to just take your time. All of mine except for one turned out great. Have to redo it sometime but it still looks good. It is not that hard to do, it is just very time consuming.

7. Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    98Tacoma

98Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    adam
    V.A.
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 xtracab
    k&N intake, 40 flowmaster turndown, westin brushguard,10 inch JL sub, alpine cd player.painted black tool box. bilstein 5100s 3inch Ebiach springs all around and toytec aal. mickey thompson beadlocks. and 33inch goodyear duratracs
    i agree i spent about 3 hours a wheel makin sure i got them smooth and spotless before any paint touched it. prep work is the key

Products Discussed in

To Top