1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Comparison: MB Wheels Gunner 6

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by BGrutter, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sep 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    BGrutter

BGrutter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Hey guys, I'm looking through various wheels on multiple sites. Personally, I'm not much for the Black Rim look. I prefer something more along the line of Brushed Aluminum or something similar. Honestly, I like my stock TRD OR wheels, but since I plan to get 285/75s and a 3" lift. I figure, I can either spend $200 on wheel spacers, or $400 on wheels with the necessary back-spacing. Getting new wheels also affords me a wider rim (something that doesn't hurt my feelings much).

Anyway, I'm looking at the two following rims, but can't decifer the difference. I know it has to do with the last set of numbers/letters: HR-6A vs. HR25AM. But, I can't figure out exactly what it means.

MB Wheels Gunner 6 - (16X8 6-139.HR-6A)

MB Wheels Gunner 6 - (16X8 6-139.HR25AM)

Also, I'm still not certain what the ideal back-spacing would be for my future setup. I've run across posts stating 4.5 and I thought some that say 5.0. The 5 seems a bit of a minimum, but I could be wrong. Any help here would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    Bump. Anyone?

3. Sep 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    Archangel

Archangel Insurance Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 IS250
    the slightly low offset of -6 will be better, that's the toyota fitment, vs the 25 offset needed for the GM's and Nissan Titans

4. Sep 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    I'm familiar with backspacing and offset. My confusion, though, surrounds the +/- of offset. Since 0 is right in the middle, does negative mean wider stance or narrower, if that makes sense.

Also, what is the ideal offset for 285s to limit potential rubbing?

5. Sep 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Negative means they will stick out further (have less backspacing). Positive means they will sit in further (have more backspacing). You will want the -6 offset to fit the 285's.

6. Sep 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Thank you both very much. I appreciate the quick responses.

For final clarification, is "-6" the ideal offset in general amongst all wheels for what I'm looking for, or is it the best of the two options?

7. Sep 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    4.5 is the ideal backspacing you want for the 285's. You can also get away with 4.25. Here's a chart (1/3rd of the way down the page) that will convert wheel width and offset to backspacing. That way you can check a bunch of different wheels to see if they are ideal.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

8. Sep 26, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    That's great. Thanks a ton.

Sorry to keep this going, but I have a follow up question. You said 4.5 was ideal, but 4.25 would also work. It seems that 4.25 would afford even more room than the 4.5. Is there a risk that the 4.25 might be TOO wide (i.e. external rubbing)?

9. Sep 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    I wouldn't be worried about it until 4.0 BS or less. Plenty of guys on here run 285's on their stock wheels (5.5 BS) with spidertrax spacers (1.25"), which nets out at 4.25" BS, with no issues.

No worries about keeping it going....that's what we are here for.

10. Sep 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    Mike K

Mike K Member

Member:
    I dont mean to change the thread, but you say " a lot of guys run the 285's with the spidertrax with no problem" . I already have spidertrax spacers (still in the box) are you saying I can run the larger 285 x 75 (70?) 17's on the stock 2009 DC Sport TRD wheels with the spidertrax and I should be ok as far as not rubbing ? This is good news ...I have been waiting to buy tires but I can't seem to get answers for tire fitment when you run the spidertrax. Appreciate any advice.:confused:

11. Sep 27, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    BGrutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    To my understanding, the Spidertrax or Less Backspacing will only help with rubbing on the UCA. Other rubbing you'll likely encounter is on the front portion of the wheel wheel plastic of the fronts. Also, many experience rubbing on the body mount at the back of the wheel well.

12. Sep 27, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    You can run the 285's if you have a 3" lift, spidertrax, and do some trimming of the fender well and possibly chop the body mount.

Products Discussed in

To Top