1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheels - local vs internet

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by LonghornTaco, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I'm looking in to buying some new rims and tires and I was just wondering if everyone bought at a local shop or ordered them online. I have checked a couple of places online for pricing but nowhere local yet.

If you do buy them online, do you buy just the wheels, just the tires or both mounted and balanced?

2. Oct 14, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I bought just the wheels online wish i would have searched at my local shops wouldnt have had to pay shipping tires were bought locally.

3. Oct 14, 2008 at 10:51 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Do most people go with the 10" width on wheels or 8? Is there much of a difference other than making the rubber bulg out more?

And the Toyota 4x4 TRD OR is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, right?

4. Oct 14, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Yes. not to sure on the width though.

5. Oct 14, 2008 at 1:02 PM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I've bought all my truck and car tires online since 02'. You get select exactly what you want, and usually a bit cheaper. Have got tires alone, (then need to be mounted locally) and full winter rim and tire packages already mounted/balanced, then bolt on myself in the garage.

6. Feb 22, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    Pootz

Pootz Active Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Just wanted to revive this thread after doing some searching. I was unable to find my answer so far so hoping someone can help out.

Has anyone from Canada ordered over the internet from the US? Are there any duties that apply to wheels and/or tires? How do prices compare after conversion, delivery charges, etc.?

7. Feb 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    SuperD

SuperD Mall Cruiser Pilot

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 White TRD Sport DC LB 4x4
    ProComp 6" Stage II, 18x9 Moto Metal 955's, Cooper Discoverer STT 305/60R18, K&N FIPK, Go-Rhino Stainless side steps, Redline Elite hood struts, Magnaflow muffler, Delta Alum. Toolbox, Husky Liners F/R, Window tint
    I searched high and low trying to find wheels and tires that I wanted, and ones that would fit. I compared tire prices on the net to local places, like Discount tire. Local was always higher. I ended up ordering my tires from tirerack. Once I figured out EXACTLY what wheel I wanted and got prices off of the net, I let the local 4x4 shop guy see what he could do for the same wheel. His prices were $40 higher, per wheel and that didn't even include lugs. Lugs were included in the better price on the net. I ended up ordering my wheels from wheelsforless.

8. Feb 23, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    lonewulf001

lonewulf001 Active Member

Member:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Grill Guard Tube Steps
    My experience was horrible with online. It may be cheaper, but buying in your local area is alot easier and you have less unknowns. What if you have to send your online bought wheels back? Or what if they forget to send you something or the wrong thing? No, local is the way to go so you don't have issues like that.

9. Feb 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check out http://www.tiretrends.com/ 100% Canadian owned. I think there warehouse is in the greater Vancouver area!

10. Feb 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
    you have a couple options.

one have everything ordered and shipped to you balanced and ready to go.

two buy the rims online and take them to a tire shop.

three buy everything locally

or buy the rims locally and order tires on line.

what i did was i bought my rims online and then purchased tires locally came out to about the same price but i got warrenties on my tires that you cant get online

11. Feb 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Around here, if the shop does not carry the wheels, they will get it (them) in for you. They don't want to loose the business.
    But I would say that certain wheels, that are off the wall, or different you may have to bite the bullet and pay the going price.

12. Feb 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    But when you have them mounted & balanced online.......what do you do with the TPMS? I figure purchase online.....have a local shop mount, do the TPMS change over, & balance.

13. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    cfenn

cfenn Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    TRD exhaust,TSB, 5100's on the front, 884 springs, Total Chaos UCA, 5100's on the rear, Wheelers HD rear springs , Nitto 285/70/17's on MB TKO 17x8.5's
    find the best deal online and go to Discount Tire with it. They will beat it and they know how to balance tires which is a plus. They can get just abut anything even if it is not a regular item they stock. I SHOULD have done this but got mine from 4wp and it was a total cluster fuck. I am running 17X8's

14. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM
    cmfranks

cmfranks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Austin,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Pre-Runner 6in Pro Comp Lift
    BHLM, Pro Comp Skid Plate, AFE Drop in Air Filter, Tint, Pioneer AVH 4000 DVD,Polk Audio 6.5 components, Polk 6.5 co-ax's, Polk Audio 400.1 amp, Polk Audio 500.1 amp, (2) Polk Audio 10 in Momo subs, Mr Marv sub box, Sockmonkey decals, Redline Elite hood struts, Bak Flip tonneau cover, N-Fab Nerf bars, Painted Center Console & Window/Door Lock Panels Black, Amber LED Dome/Map Lights
    longhorn,

check everywhere on internet for wheels that you like. then go to discount tire. they will/can order any wheel that you want and will price beat anything out there along w/ the shipping.

as far as width, 4wp's reccommends nothing more than a 9 in width. But they are dumbshits anyway. i have a 6 in lift and my 18x10's fit w/o a problem.

I will try to get pics up today, if i'm not to lazy to get out there and wash the truck

15. Feb 24, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    Killer Red Taco

Killer Red Taco NorCal Rock Whore

Member:
    First Name:
    Whatsurname
    BFE–Norcal
    Vehicle:
    007 Tacoma A/C TRD O/R Impulse Red 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 on front at 1.75 setting • 5100 on back• K&N Air Filter• TRD Seat Covers• Day Time Running Lights• Foglights Anytime• Hella 500 lights in grille• Rear TSB Springs• Alternative Locker Mod• CB and 4 ft firestick II• Billet Grille• Kid puke in the back!• 265/75R16 Goodyear MT/R• 16" Devino wheels• Hose Clamp Mod• Revenge Fab Sliders• No Sway Bar• A Hottie as Copilot

Products Discussed in

To Top