1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire width in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by LonghornTaco, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Oct 18, 2008 at 9:06 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Does anyone know if you can have tires extend out past your vehicle in Minnesota?

2. Oct 19, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Looks like I may have saved myself $1600. Apparently, in this backward-ass state of Minnesota, you can't have tires that stick out past the fenders. Also, your bumper can't be more than 25" off the ground (I'll just cross my fingers on this one). And there are crazy ass laws about lights on the front, how many can be on at once, when they have to be covered, etc...

I think I need to move back to Texas - we don't mind big trucks down there... :)

3. Oct 19, 2008 at 2:21 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Most states have similar bumper height or headlight height laws. Vermont law states that you cannot make any aftermarket changes, the bumper cannot change from stock, and the tires cannot stick out past the wheel well. Believe it or not, an aftermarket exhaust is considered defective equipment. Does anyone actually make traffic stops and write for this crap.......NO!

This is no way intended to be legal advice, however, the simple way around the tires sticking out past the fender is a fender flare. In most states, that is all you need to be covered under the letter of the law. As for the bumper height, I don't know how strict other states are about that. I can tell you that I have never, and will never stop a car/truck that has a bumper height above 25 inches.

I know a lot of states also require that "off-road" lighting equipment be covered when not in use. Tell me, what's considered "off road lighting?" Everything can be implied differently. If your friends with a police officer, just ask them their take on everything you mentioned, they can probably give you better insight as I'm not sure their take on enforcement up there.

4. Oct 19, 2008 at 5:22 AM
    Taco969

Taco969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thats how Wisconsin was too when I lived there. They enforce it too,BIG time, I was always getting stopped. Now I have a stock truck(for now). I am going to be lifting it though, no lift laws here in Florida!:D

5. Oct 19, 2008 at 6:20 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    New York is the same way, headlight laws and tires extending beyond wheel wells, yet the prick cop in my town has a truck that breaks all codes, including noise and he galavants about the town, untouched. I can only hope kharma camps in his back pocket. :boom:

6. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I thought about fender flares, but painted fender flares ain't cheap. I know the stock ones are $125 each.

My 3" lift is probably gonna put me close to the limit (depending on their definition of bumper and if it's 25" to the bottom, middle or top of the bumper) but the taller tires will definately put me over. :mad:

7. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:48 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    move to sc :D

8. Oct 19, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
  9. Oct 19, 2008 at 10:14 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the links tigerfan! Just what I was looking for. Not the answer I wanted, but the info I needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top