1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

custom spare tire mount

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tacoma08MZ, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Oct 28, 2008 at 4:17 AM
    tacoma08MZ

tacoma08MZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    Well i finally had this made by one of my dads friends. i told him i wanted somethin that would look cool, and easily removable if i needed to haul something. this is what he came up with. its made of stainless steel, its rusted because they went to sand blast it but there wasnt sand in the machine it was metal so theres tiny peices of metal embedded in it but to solve this i plan on takin the spray on bed liner i have left over from my rocker panels and spraying it. its sturdy as hell i can jump on it with no movement at all and easliy removed with the 2 bed bolts. i bought a set of lug nut locks at the local auto parts store to keep the tire safe. ill get more pics of it painted and with the tire mounted!

100_0125.jpg
    100_0126.jpg
    100_0128.jpg
    100_0130.jpg
    100_0132.jpg

2. Oct 28, 2008 at 7:16 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That's awesome. I wish I had your dad's friend...or some welding skills. Cause I had a few ideas like that and I'd love to try it out.

3. Oct 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    That looks nice lets see it with the tire on!

4. Oct 28, 2008 at 7:19 AM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    looks good..can't wait to see how it looks with the tire!

5. Oct 28, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    tacoma08MZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    tinted head/tail lights-blacked out badges-3 inch tuff country lift 33 inch nittos-black steelies custom spare bed mount-hilift-weathertechs-kenwood dnx5120 dvdnav headunit-remote start-painted grille surround-fog lights-grillcraft black mesh grille
    thanks. the spares on order so ill get some pics asap!

6. Oct 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    looks awesome man!!! and the spray on liner is a great idea!!

7. Oct 28, 2008 at 3:38 PM
    Taco969

Taco969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Looks awesome! Have a few more made, there are probably a few people on here that would want those!

8. Oct 28, 2008 at 3:39 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    Looks awsome:thumbsup:

9. Oct 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    It looks good, but you might want to consider some additional tubes running from the horizontal to just below the wheel mount itself. Same from under the horizontal tube to the downtubes attaching to the plates bolted to the bed/frame. A little triangulation is never a bad thing and I'd hate for anything to come loose while you're wheeling. Ideally you'd also have some supports further back in the bed to take some of the strain off of the plates under the bed bolts.

There will be a lot of torsional force on the whole assembly once you get a wheel on there, and with every bump the weight of the wheel & tire will try to rotate the tubes clockwise in this picture.
    [​IMG]

What thickness plates did you use as the base?

Not bashing your idea or execution at all here. I just want to make sure you and everyone around you stays safe. :thumbsup:

10. Oct 28, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Those welds are clean as hell, btw. VERY nice work on those!

11. Oct 28, 2008 at 9:01 PM
    tacoma08MZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    thanks thanks. haha i didnt weld them one of my dads buddies did the work. best of all the whole thing was free! but im gonna hook him up with my stock tires for the work. i did think about some additional support to take some strain off the bed bolts. ill take a better look into it once i get the tire mounted. and im not sure about the plates either 1/8 or 1/4 ill check and get back to you.

12. Oct 28, 2008 at 9:30 PM
    awymore997

awymore997 Quitting is for Quitters

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab TRD OFRD 6 speed
    I know you got it for free, but any ideas how much material was used? Id like to build one for myself and im wondering what it would cost

13. Oct 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM
    tacoma08MZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    well theres about 5-6 feet of stainless steel tubing, then the 2 small plates and the round one the tire sits on is about 6 inches round. i have no clue how much stainless costs though.

14. Oct 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Pretty neat idea, to bad I have a hard cover, I would need it to lay the mount flat.
    Ask your friend it he wants to make some extra money, bet if you come up with a set-up that I am looking for, I would purchase it. Don't need S.S. steel would work, sandblast and prime let let Line-X have it for a few hours.
    Good Idea.........

15. Oct 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    tacoma08MZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    haha ill tell my dad to talk to him and see if hes interested!

16. Dec 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Need something like this! Reviving

17. Dec 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
  18. Dec 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM
    tacoma08MZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Levi
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4
    Holy cow guys I haven't been on here in years! Ha since then I have taken the mount out,I was just over it and needed a change. Now it's in the shed. I never had any problems with it at all. It doesn't look like I mentioned it above but once the tire was mounted the bottom of the tire (33") rested right on the bed so there where no issues with the mount twisting and what not.

19. Dec 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    Have you considered one of the TW vendors or a local fab shop? I always try and support small business and if they don't fit my needs, then I outsource. Just a thought.

Why did you need a change, was it not what you wanted? How does it look different than before?

20. Dec 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    AndyTaco

AndyTaco ACLBFTMW

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Waco, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 ACLB V6
    "Raptor Style" grill mod, aftermarket wheels, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities, TRD Shoulder pads on seat belts, no mud flaps, AVS Hoodflector bug shield *removed*, Dee Zee Ultrablack Bull Bar w/ license plate mount, dipped my fuel door for no reason, N-Fab Spare tire mount w/ full size matching spare, dipped eyelids onto my headlights for no reason, dipped my hood for no reason
    Do you know of a vendor that makes something similar to this? If not - I can just do some searching. I'd love to support one of the vendors on here.

Products Discussed in

To Top