1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

wheels out of whack

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by 04tacomass, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    04tacomass

04tacomass [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey all, I recently purchased a 04 tacoma and it came with a set of pacer daytona rims I believe to be 16x8 and the truck vibrates really bad at higher speeds when you hit 60 on but you can also feel it when you are driving at lower speeds just not as much. I have take in back to the dealer numerous times and they thought it was the tires so they changed them and have done balancing every time I have brought it in and they still have not found a solution. I talked to a friend and he told me it might be because there are no hub centric rings for the rims. I took it to a trusted mechanic and he said it could be it so I took it the local tire place and he confirmed that the rims are hub centric and need the rings but will be hard to locate. So now I am back at the dealer and told them that this should fix the problem. is this the case? Do i really need hub centric rings? They also looked at the rims and there are no problems there, the driveshaft is fine the u joints are good. it simply comes down to the rims. has anyone else had this problem? any help would be great! Thanks

_Austin

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    pootermobile

pootermobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL cab 4WD V6 6-speed Debadged
    De-Flapped, All-Weather Floor Mats, Blue LED dome light, De-badged, BMW shift knob, 8K HIDs in headlights and fogs, Fog light relay MOD, 3" Coil-spring spacers, 1.5" rear blocks, 17" ProComp 7033s, 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Ebay 7" touch screen head unit, TEKstyle snap button tonneau cover
    Most aftermarket wheels are hub or lug centric. If you have tapered lug nuts this should not be a problem. I've been running lug centric wheels on my truck with tapered lug nuts and have had no problems. Where do you feel it most, seat or steering wheel?

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    04tacomass

04tacomass [OP] Member

Member:
    I feel it most in the steering wheel. I just got done with the dealership and they said it was lug centric. I Have no idea what kind of lugs I have but I dont think I have the right kind if its doing this. what is the right kind?

4. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    [​IMG]

5. Sep 6, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    04tacomass

04tacomass [OP] Member

Member:
    are those tapered lug nuts? and are toyota tacomas lug centric?

6. Sep 6, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    They are tapered (conical) seat, yes. but they also have an extended shank to help center the wheel on the studs better.

Stock tacoma wheels are hub-centric.

7. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    04tacomass

04tacomass [OP] Member

Member:
    Ok so would aftermarket time be lug centric? The dealer told me today that the rims were lug centric. But the tire place told me it was hub centric. The rims are pacers daytonas

8. Sep 6, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Some aftermarket rims are hub centric, some are not. If they are hub centric they should fit very tightly around the hub, thus centering them...

9. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    04tacomass

04tacomass [OP] Member

Member:
    Are the time supposed to come with hub rings? Or should it fit snug besides the rings? The car didn't have hub rings with it. How can I find out which type are the rims?

10. Sep 7, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Some come with hub rings, some have the hub bore designed to be hubcentric.

Why not just get the shanked lugs to be safe? I run shanked extended thread lugs on my hubcentric wheels.

11. Sep 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    04tacomass

04tacomass [OP] Member

Member:
    I would and probably will but since I just bought it I am trying to go through the dealership to make this problem go away. But I have taken it back about 7 times and they just told me its lug centric and there is nothing they can do about the shake. I think ill just order it and see if the lug nuts do anything.these should stop the shake right?

Products Discussed in

To Top