1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hankook I*Pike RW11 Studded for winter tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by KRich, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    KRich

KRich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Hi all,

Looking to buy some dedicated winter tires in the next few weeks and wanted to know what you guys think about the Hankook I*Pike RW11 tires with studs. Does anyone run these and know how it works for wet conditions and black ice as well as snow?

I am putting on bilstein 5100s set at 2.5 up front with a toytec TSB AAL in the rear and spidertrax wheelspacers next weekend so am planning to get 265/70/17 sizing so I can fit chains if needed.

Please let me know what you think.

cheers,
    Kyle

2. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab Tacoma 4x4
    Those are basically the suv version of the Hankook 409. I have run the 409's several years and two different cars and loved them. You won't have any problems with the rw11.

3. Nov 5, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    i still fail to see the point in studded tires on trucks? u have 4wd!?

4. Nov 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    KRich

KRich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Black DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I do have 4WD but after a few close calls on hard packed icy snow and black ice especially with a torque-y 6 spd, I believe in that little bit of metal making the difference of cutting through that top layer of ice down to some traction. I keep chains with me but lots of time you don't know how icy it is until you're already on it.

5. Oct 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    This is kinda relevant cause I'm sure not 100% of the people looking at this right now actually know what it's like to drive 100+ days at highway speeds when you shouldn't be because there is a frozen road all around you with people that have no idea what they're doing all around you driving at highway speeds when they shouldn't be.

It's also kinda relevant because some of the more bad ass % of people looking at this right now will be doing just that in their rig's soon enough.....whether they know whatthefuck they're doing or not.:eek:

that being said........these are prob the best studs you could get for any rig. i had a set of 28's on my subaru and they hauled dick in the snow. i'm unsure if you can get them anymore. i was at les yesterday and it didn't show up on their computer screeny do-dad thing.....you might have luck finding them on thestupidfuckinginternet.

Products Discussed in

To Top