1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Portable Air Compressor WTF...

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by OffroadToy, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Nov 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Been looking around at getting a small unit to air up the tires when offroading and got a question. It seems the exact same pictures are being used to advertise the Q Industies MV50, the Smitty Bilt MV50, the Master Flow MF50, and the Super Flow MV-50. They range in price from around $50-$90. Is there any difference or are these all the same unit being marketed under different names? Also, if anyone is using one of these how do you like it? Thanks...
    [​IMG]

http://www.gearinstalls.com/pepboys.htm

2. Nov 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I have the Master Flow MF40 and it's not super fast but faster than any 12V one I've had (just cheap $20 ones). Got it on sale for $25 at pep boys

3. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i would say all made by the same company.just everyone puts there name on tham.that happens quite offten

4. Nov 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    ffemt2987

ffemt2987 Shut up Hippie!

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Golden
    Vehicle:
    Cement 3rd gen that was supposed to stay stock
    Rack, sliders, softopper, tjm bumper, eibach temp suspension
    I have that compressor, The Q industries MV 50.... Bought it off Amazon. I think that if you use it every now and then it is great. You can add 10 lbs to each tire "33" in about 5 minutes? The hose is adequate but would be short if you mounted the unit. Also, it doesn't jump around and is fairly quiet. Overall, it is worth the money. Any questions?

5. Nov 10, 2011 at 4:30 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Thanks for the responces. The MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050 advertises it as duel cylinder/piston and is $30 more than the Q Industries MV-50 on Amazon. They sure look the same...anyone know if the Q Industries MV-50 unit is duel cylinder/piston also? :confused:

6. Nov 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    bgsmith

bgsmith Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Hingham, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ATX Mojaves with 265/75 16 Hankook Dynapro ATMs, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers (front and rear), Bilstein 5100 all around up front set at 1.75", Blacked out badges, Pioneer AVIC D3 DVD/NAV Head Unit, K&N Air Filter, Tyger Tri Fold Tonneau Cover, Rockford Fosgate Punch Speakers.
    I have the Tsunami, bought it off of Amazon and it works great for what the product is. Gets a little hot after long use though (adding 10psi to each tire).

7. Nov 11, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I have the Harbor Freight one and the Tsunami one... both great and I have posted a lot about them in the past.

207113-1_b5e39f59e38195bc088b7e73f65fac1959fa6fa2.jpg

IMG_4689_87be97b6caa60c55f730e630d3b028b0faa55b09.jpg

The Tsunami one (#MV-50) seems to be better made, and is just a bit slower than the one.

The Harbor Freight one was bought way back in 2006... and it still works... Used it dozens of times. However, the fuse holder gets really hot and melts the fuse... doesn't blow usually, but I needed to replace the fuse lots of times as it stopped working after it melts the plastic.

The Tsunami I got a year ago, and it doesn't get near as hot in the cable or fuse.

The speed to fill our tires is 6 psi per minute with the Harbor Freight and 5 psi per minute with the Tsunami. A cigarette lighter connected tire air pump fills at just 2 psi per minute!

So, if you go to 15 psi for sand driving, you take 2.5 minutes with the Harbor Freight to get back to 30 psi... or 3 minutes with the Tsunami... or 7.5 minutes for a cig. lighter pump (I had a Coleman). When you have 4 tires to fill... speed is nice! I prefer 12 minutes over 30 minutes!!!

The Harbor Freight one was $49 when I bought it, on special in '06... the Tsunami one is closer to $75 I think, but that was last year.

8. Nov 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well, after researching it farther it appears the ads I've been looking at advertising the Master Flow Tsunami MF1050 are misleading saying that it's a duel cylinder/piston unit. It's a single cylinder and made by the same company (Q Industries) that manufacturer's the MV50 that all these other companies are putting their name on. I've read many reviews (both good and bad) and decided to just spend the extra money and go for the quality of the Viair 300P. Thanks again to all that posted. :)

9. Nov 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Just what did you want it to do?

I have one, and as I posted above... I can fill our 16" truck tire at the rate of 5 psi per minute (that's 12 psi to 32 psi in 4 minutes for those of you in Rio Linda).

How much is the Viar 300P, and how much does it cost? Is that much price difference worth just cutting a minute or two off the fill time (if it is faster)?

10. Nov 12, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    The quick fill time is nice but I'm looking more at reliablity. I've read both good and bad reports of the MF1050/MV50 compressors and only read one negative report of the Viair saying it was recieved with a broken zipper on the carrying case. The Viair doesn't seem to have the overheating problems of other units. From what I've read if you have a problem with the Q Industries units good luck...it's dam near impossible to get them to answer any inquiries. The Viair 300P goes for $149 on Amazon.
    [​IMG]

11. Nov 12, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    I have the MF 1050 and it works awesome for the $$
    one time we were leaving a trail and I had to air up 3 trucks....got hot and shut off on the 11th tire :p
    still works like a champ.. (after it cooled down)

12. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Okay, well let us know how the expensive one works. My MV-50 does not over-heat filling my 4 tires... The Harbor Freight one does. Used it many times.

13. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    I've had the MV-50 for almost 5 years and that little guy keeps chugging along. I got it from Costco for $50.

14. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Seriously!

I do want to hear how long it takes to add air with the pricey one... Is faster than 5 psi per minute worth paying 2-3 times the cost of the MV-50?

15. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'd get the MV-50 from Costco knowing their return policy and great customer service but my store doesn't have them and I can't seem find the MV-50 on their website. Can anyone provide a link from Costco.com showing it?

16. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    Bobber Bill

Bobber Bill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Daily Driver
  17. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    OffroadToy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Like I said I'm not that concerned on the time it takes to fill. I'm looking more at reliability and customer service. Alot of people love the MV-50 units and that's great, but I've also read where some have issues right away and can't get ahold of the company (Q Industries.) Alot of them just end up biting the bullet and spending the money on a more quality unit afterwards. All I want is a reliable unit and a way of getting customer satsfaction/support if a problem arises.

18. Nov 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    good info, been in the market for one as the temp changes been kinda drastic lately and psi's fluctuate little too much, i really hate the bouncing around and heat associated with those 10dollar ones, so thx for all the info.

19. Nov 13, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I got the smitty built from 4wp on sale for like $45 and its a great little piece of kit. Its fairly fast. Only down side is it get FUCKING HOT after doing all 4 tires. That and the plastic air intake filter broke off but other than that its agreat.

20. Nov 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'm trying to choose betwen VIAIR's 90P and 300P units. Anyone have first-hand experience that might help me decide whether the 300P is worth almost twice the 90P's cost? :confused:

Duty cycle will generally be light, since I don't usually air-down. Primary purpose is for emergencies. (Current 265/70R16s will be upgraded to 265/75R16s when they're replaced.)

Products Discussed in

To Top