1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire meanings??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by perchie15, May 19, 2012.

1. May 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    perchie15

perchie15 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    like with speed rating T S R, whats the difference?? and its prob better to get a P tire for my tacoma then a LT?? And even load index?? Whats up with that bi"?? haha

2. May 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    When I was looking for tires on BFG, they had a list of definitions for all of their abbreviations. Try looking for something like that around the website of the brand that you're looking at.
    Hope that helps

3. May 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    At the beginning of the size Like LT265-70-16 or P245-75-16, the LT stands for Light Truck as in not a Semi, and P stands for Passenger. LT's are gonna be more for load handling where as P's are more for road performance and comfort. If you don't tow or go off road, get a P rated tire, if you find yourself in situations that call for an LT tire, get it. Doubt you'll have to worry much about speed rating unless you have a race truck. And load rating, is pretty strait forward, you really don't need a heavy load tire, as long as each on is rated for at least 1k lbs or about 500kg you should be fine because your load, if properly loaded, should be distributed to all four wheels. Other than that, go on a tire mnfctr website to get more detailed info.

4. May 19, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Speed rating is a non-issue on the Tacoma.
    While I'm sure if you really really tried and went cheap, you could find a "P" rated tire that tops out at 93mph, but for the most part, the cheapest tire you're going to find is going to be an "S" rating or better, which is good to 112mph (dunno about the Tacoma, but the 1st-Gen Tundra speed limiter was 105).

Do be careful though, there are some "L" rated light truck and offroad tires that are limited to 75mph.

On load ratings, it's a little more involved, but in general, for a Tacoma, you aren't going to encounter any issues with any tire sized for the truck:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

5. May 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

LT are nice, but heavy, and run higher pressures.
    Higher pressures will increase tire life and reduce the risk of hydroplaning, but they also ride harder, and the increased weight of the LT puts a hit on fuel economy.

6. May 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    seksilumpia

seksilumpia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    El Dorado Hills
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DCSB
    Performance mods: TRD CAI, AFE throttle body spacer, Doug Thorley headers, TRD exhaust. Cosmetic mods: HID 10k head+3k fog lights, BHLM, T-rex 2 eyelids, billet grill (5 piece), 20% front window tint, 4% back window tint, tinted 3rd brake light, altezza tail lights, LED license plate lights, door skid protectors, slotted drilled rotors,plasti dip rims,painted rotor and drums. Interior mods: TRD seat covers, LED map and dome lights, 2 kicker 10' w/ 500 watt amp, pioneer door speakers,and Pioneer AVIC X930BT.
    The load (for is example 265/65/17 110S) 110 is the load. It is a short key and represents how much weight that single tire can carry. It is never recommended you go below your load index. And it seems that LT vs P is covered

7. May 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
  8. May 20, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    Wow thanks a lot buddy's!! I do a bit of towing just towing my 17ft aluminum boat in the summer the. My quad in the summer also... So LT gives you more life you'll get out of a tire?? I guess if they are bit heavier I see... But 110 like 110 what's it mean is it like 100lbs or 1000lbs heaviest thing I tow is my boat ..

9. May 20, 2012 at 9:20 AM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    also higher the ply the more it hurts your fuel milege to dont it?

10. May 20, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    110 is the load index... 110 is the highest for passenger car tires, over 2300 pounds per tire. That's not TOWING weight... that's VERTICAL weight.... 4 would be good for a GVWR of 9200 pounds.
    Your Tacoma's suspension will bottom out and your wheel bearings will scream at anything over 5000lbs gross. The Tacoma doesn't "need" a tire rated higher than 89 (and FWIW, I run load index 88 on my motorcycle)
    Simply because of the added weight.

The higher ply are thicker and heavier. They are more resistant to heat damage on the highway under heavy loads, provided they are properly inflated (follow the sidewall for LT tires, NOT the door sticker which is for P-rated tires).
    Problem is if they are underinflated, like any tire, they will get hot, and being thicker and heavier, they will retain that heat much longer.

A 17ft aluminum boat that I'm assuming weighs less than 3000lbs with the trailer? Stick with regular P tires. You don't need LT for that. I really can't think of any application where the Tacoma needs LT tires.

11. May 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    \

And the weight of the tire like lots seem to be around 45, that just hurts a guys fuel mileage to wont it? And i see lot of 10plys yikes I do alot of highway driving continuously atleast for 10hrs at once, so would thicker ply be better if i do that kind of driving?..

12. May 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I would (and do) stick with P-rated tires and just bring them up to 35psi.
    The higher pressure will help keep the temperature down, and will reduce rolling resistance for the best fuel economy.

No way in hell a Tacoma would EVER need a 10-ply LT tire. That's a load range E and might be needed for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup hauling and towing heavy loads.

Remember... the Tacoma is a basic mid-sized truck that is BARELY rated for 1/2 ton.
    You'd not be able to utilize the load capacity of even a 4-ply LT tire.

13. May 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    Yeah thats what i figured to.. Im looking at tires to buy for my custom wheels, and lot of them are 10ply like wow thats unnecessary i think, specially if im doing lot of highway driving... I think dynapros are pretty much my choice then out of the other ones i was looking at were mainly at 10ply :(

14. May 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Most 10-ply (load range E) are also available in 8 ply (D).
    Still way overkill for the Tacoma, but a bit lighter and probably $20 cheaper.

When I put BFGs on my Duramax, I had the choice between LR D or E in the 285/75-16. I went with E... they still looked new at 35k, but they did hurt my fuel economy.

15. May 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    perchie15

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    None,
    Yeah I think 6 is perfect but seems like only a choice between 10 and 4.. Now that im starting to understand tires more, i ordered tires from canadian tire that were suppose to be Ps but end up getting stupid LT and come to think of it my fuel economy has went down... not sure what the rating for them are. but just winter tires anyways...

Products Discussed in

To Top