1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Wheels: a few personalized questions in one thread

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by beedoola, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jul 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    I apologize for another "painting wheels" thread but I looked through quite a few and didn't get all I wanted, for my situation.

I want to paint my wheels black:

A: What would you recommend: Flat, Satin, or Gloss? Anyone have pics of theirs with these types of finishes? My truck is a Lunar Mist.

B: The center of my wheels are rusted. Do I need to clean them heavily - steel wool, or some other method?

C: I've read some people saying they DID prime, others saying they DIDN'T - your thoughts? Give the rust, at least in the center, seems primer for that is at least necessary.

D: Is removing the weights from the wheels easy?

E: Is everyone using clear coats to seal the wheels following the initial painting?

Thanks!

2. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    bump.

Also, how many cans do I need of primer, paint and clear coat?

3. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    plastidip them first, if you wanna paint them then scuff them up with some fine grit sand paper, then primer, then paint. gloss, satin, or flat are all personal preference. and clear would help. the weights are easy to take off, pry them off with a screwdriver or something, just be sure to mark where they go on the tire so you can put them back on afterwards.

4. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    A. personal preference. with a clear coat they will shine any how.

B. Get rid of most of the rust, I hardly sanded mine because they were texturized already. not saying this is recommended, but it saved me a lot of time.

C. I didn't prime, but I would over rust.

D. I painted over the weights, when they are moved, just paint the area under them.

E. Paint drys. Cures. Clear coat. cure. install. was my method.

I used 3 cans of paint and 2 cans of clear coat. would have only needed 2 paint if i didnt mess up my caps, also barely used the 2nd can of clear coat.

all from my personal experience. ^_^

5. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    A: I did semi-gloss black and I think it looks great. Not too shiny but not as dull as flat black.

B: yes you will want to eliminate the rust before priming and painting. Use some steel wool to get the rust off and then go over the whole wheel with sandpaper to rough the surface up.

C: I primed using rust oleum self etching primer and it turned out beautifully. I would recommend priming for sure.

D: why remove the wheel weights? I left them on and painted right over them.

E: I used the duplicator wheel clear coat after painting to seal things up.

And I used three cans of primer two large cans of paint and three cans of clear. Hope that helps!

6. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    trussell456

trussell456 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD V6 5-Speed
    Bilstein 5100's / Eibach's / AAL / All Pro Front Bumper / Skids / Billet Grill / 33x12.5x15 Duratracs / Dick Cepek DC-2's / TRS Retrofit / 20" Light Bar / 6" HID Fogs / Wet Okoles / WeatherGuard Tool Box
    A. I just painted mine this past weekend. I used rustoleum flat black and i think it looks awesome.

B. For the rust maybe try a flap wheel? Not sure of the best method.

C. When i did mine i cleaned them really well, sanded them lightly with 250 grit sandpaper, then cleaned them again. Then i used one coat of rustoleum primer.

D. Not exactly sure, i left my weights on

E. If i used gloss black i would probably clear coat, but since i used flat i didn't use it. I guess somebody makes a hardener type overcoat for flat paint but not 100% sure.

I used one can of primer and two cans of paint. If you're going to clear coat you're probably going to want 2 cans of that as well.

7. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:53 PM
    beedoola

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    the rust isn't on the rim but on the center of the...axel... Fail at not knowing the terminology...

I wanna roll without the caps..

I'm thinking of using Dupli-Color - 16oz cans, think 2 will do it? I have to order it from my local O'Reillyauto so I may get an extra just in case - I can always return it. So I may omit the clear coat and just do Prime/Paint. I'm not an off-road type anyways so the wheels won't see anything to crazy.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top