Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/)
-   -   Nitto or BFG? *READ BEFORE YOU VOTE* (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/235715-nitto-bfg-read-before-you-vote.html)

ToyotaKTMracing 08-22-2012 08:50 PM

Nitto or BFG? *READ BEFORE YOU VOTE*

Not needing tires real soon, but I do have my choices. BFG MT KM2s or Nitto Trail Grappler MTs? I like both, but I want to know which one is better. What's best for snow and rain? Which gets better mpg? Road noise isn't a big deal. I have maxxis bighorns right now and they're loud. :rolleyes:

1337Taco 08-22-2012 08:51 PM

KM2s are not good in icy conditions, but they are an overall good tire.

desert guy 08-22-2012 08:52 PM

BFG's!!!!!!!
Been running them for over 10 years. Nitto is not bad but BFG's I know are desert race proven!

ToyotaKTMracing 08-22-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desert guy (Post 5577113)
BFG's!!!!!!!
Been running them for over 10 years. Nitto is not bad but BFG's I know are desert race proven!

I'm not driving in the desert. Lol. I know what you mean though. I have the ATs on my old truck. Love them. Just want that MT look. lol

desert guy 08-22-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing (Post 5577129)
I'm not driving in the desert. Lol. I know what you mean though. I have the ATs on my old truck. Love them. Just want that MT look. lol

Yeah I agree, I do like the look of the MT too. I have a couple friends that have the MT's, and they love them

Monotak 08-22-2012 09:00 PM

I have had both, I did not like my BFG's. They were loud, didnt wear well and expensive in my area. I put Nitto's on and they were amazing. Quiet on the roads, excellent traction in the loose stuff and amazing in the snow. I will never buy anything but Nitto's and Toyo's from now on.

ToyotaKTMracing 08-22-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monotak (Post 5577168)
I have had both, I did not like my BFG's. They were loud, didnt wear well and expensive in my area. I put Nitto's on and they were amazing. Quiet on the roads, excellent traction in the loose stuff and amazing in the snow. I will never buy anything but Nitto's and Toyo's from now on.

That's a good answer :D

Project.paradigm 08-22-2012 09:01 PM

I have a set of Trail grapplers but i'm selling them and getting the BFG's. I like the look of the BFG's more and the main reason is i want 255/85R16. Both tires have similar off road handling characteristics. I would base your decision on looks and/or price. Also, i wouldn't run a mud terrain in icy conditions. Not sure where you live or what your winter is like though.

ToyotaKTMracing 08-22-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Project.paradigm (Post 5577177)
I have a set of Trail grapplers but i'm selling them and getting the BFG's. I like the look of the BFG's more and the main reason is i want 255/85R16. Both tires have similar off road handling characteristics. I would base your decision on looks and/or price. Also, i wouldn't run a mud terrain in icy conditions. Not sure where you live or what your winter is like though.

WV. Winters suck. Haha. And after having MTs, I don't think I could change. I like them too much :D

Monotak 08-22-2012 09:05 PM

Then again I have only had TerraGrapplers, kinda misread that :(

ToyotaKTMracing 08-22-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monotak (Post 5577193)
Then again I have only had TerraGrapplers, kinda misread that :(

Ahh, I see. READ!!!! Lol. It's cool :D

krimson 08-22-2012 09:06 PM

Both good tires, no personal experiences with Trail Grapplers... My KM2s are the best tire I've ever owned.

CGtaco 08-22-2012 09:07 PM

Live in kodiak AK, have KM2's and I know for sure that they do well in the snow, but when it gets icy (which it does here a LOT) you lose a lot traction, kinda sucks when driving up a steep hill. Road noise/MPG couldn't give you a answer short drives here and highest posted 55mph.

derekabraham 08-22-2012 09:27 PM

I'm on my 3rd set of KM2s now. No complaints. Rain, snow, mud, ice, sand...I've never had any issues with them. I will continue to get them for the foreseeable future. :D

ColtsTRD 08-22-2012 09:31 PM

Dude, BFGs are the most proven tire in all conditions...nuff said ;)

1337Taco 08-22-2012 09:32 PM

Source? :D

Toy Yoda 08-23-2012 09:02 AM

you'll be spendin da monies on trail grap MT's, i have BFG AT KO's and they're awesome in everything I've put them through, rain, mud, gravel, sand, anything, i can only speculate the km2's are better in all of the above except for ice or rain

PETEREDGE 08-23-2012 09:07 AM

I have owned both but the Nitto's are by far the better tire.They are smoother,less noisy,wear slower and balance easily.

Large 08-23-2012 09:07 AM

I really want to vote for both, but since I have not owned the KM2's I can't. I have, however, owned the original BFG KM mud tires and they were by far the best tire I ever owned.

On the other hand, these trail graps from nitto have not let me down yet, I didn't put them through the tortures of the KMs (ran over nails, drove over a fire with red hot coals, had the truck slide to the side in mud and stick a sharp rock in the sidewall and no puncture) but after my Colorado road trip I can say they are a really good tire. No icy roads driven on either tire but plenty of rain, mud, sand, wet grass and 2 snow trips, the KMs had excellent wear, these trail grapplers are showing the same wear.

I got about 60k miles out of the KMs, I'm running just shy of 12k miles on the trails and they still look pretty new. I would estimate to get about 50k miles from the trails with about 10-15% tread left when I decide to get rid of them. My next set of tires will definitely be the KM2 since I have no reason not to believe they are better than the original KMs.

Road noise - these trail grapplers are a lot louder than the KMs but I actually kind of like 'road growl' and usually have my music turned up somewhat loud. I also like when I turn heads driving down the road. :D Hope this helps.

JWaldz 08-23-2012 03:31 PM

The nittos are heavy ass tires. I went back and forth on them and decided for our underpowered yotas they just aren't practical. I do like the way they look better than the km2s though. I've never had km2's but I know plenty of people that are happy with them. You gotta keep them rotated. What size tire are you looking at? BTW, I had the bighorns in a 285 and I loved them. They were soft though and chunked really easy in the rocks. They still road great though. I'm use to loud tires by now.