1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire rubbing help?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by RobbySkateboard, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    RobbySkateboard

RobbySkateboard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    I installed a lift a while ago (OME) on my 05 tacoma, put on some 285/70/17's on the stock rim and had some rubbing if I turned the wheel about 1.25 rotations either direction, I kind of wrote it off assuming it was rubbing on the LR UCA's as I had read other people's were doing that and I could physically see it was REALLY close to it (I never did see them actually touching though) and so I installed some 1.25" spidertrax hoping to alleviate my problem, but alas I have made it much, much worse, I now rub on my fender if I turn the steering wheel .25 rotations, which I actually got out of the car to look at, so I'm wondering if I was rubbing on those the whole time or if it was the UCA's, either way, I need to fix the rubbing ASAP as I am going on a trip Friday morning and will be doing some off roading. I searched the forums and saw the pinch weld mod and that looks like what I need to do but everywhere I saw that mentioned that as a solution was in the 1st gen section so I'm wondering if it's not as easy on a 2nd gen or if there is a better solution for us 05+ guys. I have to do this before 2pm tomorrow (when I work) or else I won't get the chance to do it and have to take off my new spidertrax to make it rub less before my trip and I REALLY would like to have the spidertrax on. Anyone able to provide any help? Thanks for anything.
    -Robby

2. Mar 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    Try trimming the inner plastic of your fenders. Takes like 5 min with a decent knife.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. Mar 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Those are some big tires to stuff in there, the three areas you may be rubbing is the mudflap, the plastic behind the mudflap and the cab mount (inside the fender at the lowermost back area), examine each of these areas to try to see any wear froma a tire and start there. If it's just the plastic you have no choice but to try to cut enough off to solve it. If the rub is one the metal back insde the wheel well I would ditch the front spidertax until you can get someone to do a cab mount chop for you.

4. Mar 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    with stock wheels you need spacers to stop rubbage on the UCA
    but now that they're away from the UCA... it's time to cut

5. Mar 7, 2013 at 1:08 AM
    jdk52

jdk52 Bro do you even 'Merica?

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5
    3 inch OME lift kit, rear diff breather mod, cb install, sliders, brute force fab front end.
    Exacto knife and a pair of tin snips. You could also try a heat gun.

6. Mar 7, 2013 at 2:17 AM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Well robby im the one that convinced you to get spacers awhile ago, sorry if you feel like i fucked you. The thing is, rubbing on the UCA will kill your tires after awhile and you cant trim the UCA. You can trim everything your rubbing now tho. Like everyone else said it might not be major, take some pictures for us, try stuffing the suspension at full lock, get out and look to see if you rub the cab mount.

7. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Not at all, I appreciate your help with my lift. If I need to cut that part that bulges out, so be it I can handle that. But the cab mount chop is where I'm going to need someone else. Anyone here in SoCal around Thousand Oaks do that? I'll get out there with a knife and get that thing cut off in just a few and hopefully that's all I need to clear.

8. Mar 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    Look at the Socal regional threads and post your query there, I'm sure someone within shooting distance would help a brother out:D

9. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    make sure your mud flaps are removed as well.

10. Mar 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    dtopgun515

dtopgun515 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    5100's up front set to 1.75, SCS Stealth 6 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler AT's
    Take some pics of where your rubbing and post. Should be pretty easy to figure out where just by looking:worthless:

11. Mar 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I removed the mudflaps and cut the plastic stuff in front of the tire where it was rubbing which solved my problem. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it, especially having searched for cab mount chop after you guys said it and then seeing all the other threads just like mine where people got mad at them for not searching, haha. I DID search, I just got side tracked by pinch weld mod which was a solution to the first few tire rubbing problems but I guess they were all 1st gen'ers. Thanks for 1) helping and 2) not getting on my case about making a thread that exists 1000 times over.

12. Mar 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    No sweat dude, glad the problem got solved:)

Products Discussed in

To Top