Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/)
-   -   Toyo Open Country 2 or Maxxiss Bighorns??? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/269477-toyo-open-country-2-maxxiss-bighorns.html)

Mogley369 03-22-2013 10:52 AM

Toyo Open Country 2 or Maxxiss Bighorns???

Hey there,
This is my first post, so thanks in advance for the advice.
Basically I am trying to decide between a couple tires. I've been doing a lot of research, and read a lot of threads and reviews. Both the Toyo Open Country 2's and the Maxxiss Bighorns sound like equally great tires, just kind of depends on what you need them for/preferences.
I'll be putting them on a mostly stock 93 Xtra cab 3.0 V6. Most likely I'll be going with LT 235/75 R15 because that's the size I'm taking off, but if anyone thinks I could go bigger with not much change in mpg's etc I probably would.
Les Schwab is having their spring sale right now, so I can get a set of 4 Toyo's for around $780 installed, or a set of 4 Bighorns for $840.00 installed.
This is why it's such a hard choice, not much of a price difference, and they're both great tires.
The thing is I drive a lot on the highway, and a lot off road.
Any suggestions? Anyone want to make my mind up for me? It would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Boost JuNkY 03-22-2013 05:42 PM

I have the bighorns. Offroad traction is awesome. Does pretty good on wet roads as well. On highway tho, they are loud as youd expect for MTs.

tomwilson74 03-22-2013 05:45 PM

I had a set of the Bighorns and loved them. They were not nearly as loud as I thought they were going to be.

JWaldz 03-26-2013 11:40 AM

I use to have bighorns as well. They weren't that loud. They're one of my favorite tires for the price. I think your price is a little high on them though. When I had mine I bought them new for $800 cash mounted & balanced. They were also a 285/75R16, so they were bigger. I bet you can find them cheaper.

neversummeriam 03-26-2013 11:46 AM

Bighorns for sure. Had a set lasted 50000 plus miles
And I Rock crawl a lot. Every weekend or every other.

David K 03-26-2013 04:35 PM

Open Country II are not Mud Terrain tires, so this is like apples and oranges, right?

How much time are you mudding or deep snow driving compared to all other forms of terrain and highway driving, to put up with the noise of a MT tires for that percentage of time?

Other Scott 03-26-2013 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just put the toyo's on my truck about a month ago, 265/75/16. Really like them. Seem to be good in snow. They hum a little on the highway but I kind of like it.

bzzr2 03-27-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David K (Post 6650907)
Open Country II are not Mud Terrain tires, so this is like apples and oranges, right?

How much time are you mudding or deep snow driving compared to all other forms of terrain and highway driving, to put up with the noise of a MT tires for that percentage of time?

good point, these 2 tires are not even in the same category. if you are able to get a great deal on toyo mt's now then you're talking good stuff!