1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Damage to powder coat from mounting tire.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bunk, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Apr 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    bunk

bunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I picked up my tires from the shop that mounted them. He tells me there was some damage to the powder coat from the balancer where it bites on the hub centre of the rim. What he failed to mention was that there is quite a large chunk of powder coat chipped off of one of the wheels.

[​IMG]

I am going to contact the shop tomorrow, should I get it refinished? I am not ecstatic about the silver weights either. Am I being too nit-picky? They are expensive wheels and I want them to last.

2. Apr 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    bunk

bunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Too picky? What do you think?

3. Apr 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    id contact them about the chip in the powdercoat, idk about the weights tho

4. Apr 7, 2013 at 9:36 PM
    Gimmick

Gimmick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Am I missing something here? I'd be fucking pissed. Are they not supposed to be pros? Is there even an exuse for that? I don't think ive seen that before

5. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Easy... they damaged your rim and they must make it right. You want it to look original. Give them one chance to do some sort of repair to the finish and see if it is acceptable. Then demand a refinish of the wheel if it is not acceptable. They may refuse to remount that one wheel though even if they pay for a refinish. If they refuse to fix, file a claim in small claims court. Document everything in writing from here on out.

6. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    They need to fix that shit.

7. Apr 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    wareagle1

wareagle1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fayetteville, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra DC 5.7
    notta
    Careless tech. The balancer uses a steel cone that is inserted into the hub that centers the wheel on the balancers shaft. A spinning nut then goes on to keep the cone in place while the balancer spins. Looks like the tech got a little careless with the cone as you have to lift the wheel up when the cone slides through before making contact. They should make it right, although proving was their doing will be tough.

8. Apr 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had Discount Tire damage 3 of my wheels when they had a rookie who retardedly hammered silver weights on the outside of my new wheels when I old them to only use stick on weights. Needless to say I wouldn't leave the shop until I was given in writing that they would pay for the repair or the replacement of the three wheels.

The manager knew they were in the wrong, and I could tell he didn't want to say anything expecting me to just accept it and leave, but he finally apologized and started calling his district manager and a wheel refinishing guy.

Point of the story is no you should not accept that, but you need to give them an opportunity to pay for it to be refinished. Get everything in writing BEFORE you leave.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top