Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Wheels & Tires (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/)
-   -   96 Tacoma - Gearshift Wiggle (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/273978-96-tacoma-gearshift-wiggle.html)

Newby 04-19-2013 10:58 AM

96 Tacoma - Gearshift Wiggle

Hello,

I just bought a 96 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 with 262xxx miles. It's automatic. The Gearshift is wiggle or not engage or not firm when I shift it to the R, D, 2, etc. The Gearshift is still wiggle or not engage even I shift it to the D drive. The truck runs good but I just don't like the way it wiggles or not engage like that. Is it the Shift Lock Control ECU or Shift Lock Control Switch or Shift Lock Solenoid? Do you have any idea why? Does anything wrong with it? I need your help please.

Thanks.

Newby 04-22-2013 04:55 AM

I need your help, guys. Any of you have any idea?

Lumpskie 04-22-2013 11:10 AM

What do you mean by "is wiggle"? Can you be more specific? Right now, all I can think of is the trans and t-case mounts being shot...

Also, should this topic be in the tech discussion section instead of wheel and tires?

Newby 04-23-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpskie (Post 6779594)
What do you mean by "is wiggle"? Can you be more specific? Right now, all I can think of is the trans and t-case mounts being shot...

Also, should this topic be in the tech discussion section instead of wheel and tires?

I dough that the plastic button which connects the Gearshift to the top of the Tranny is broken down after I did a lot of searching. How can I replace it? By chance, do you have the Repair Manual to share for me?

Lumpskie 04-24-2013 01:22 PM

Do you have a picture of the button you are talking about?

Newby 04-25-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpskie (Post 6791398)
Do you have a picture of the button you are talking about?

I don't have now but I'll try to take it and post here as soon as I can.

Newby 05-02-2013 04:10 PM

I'm sorry. I got the picture but I don't know how to load it to post here. So let me try to tell you once. I called it Gearshift, but, actually, may be it's the Shift Lock Selector or Transmission Shift Lever. It's the one that you shift it to the P=Parking, R=Return, D=Drive, etc. It's wiggle or jiggle when you shift it to any of those letter, like P, R, D, L.

Lumpskie 05-02-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newby (Post 6833410)
I'm sorry. I got the picture but I don't know how to load it to post here. So let me try to tell you once. I called it Gearshift, but, actually, may be it's the Shift Lock Selector or Transmission Shift Lever. It's the one that you shift it to the P=Parking, R=Return, D=Drive, etc. It's wiggle or jiggle when you shift it to any of those letter, like P, R, D, L.

Do you have a photobucket account? That would be the easiest way to upload pictures. I'm not sure I can help because I've never owned an automatic transmission but I'll give it a try.

Newby 05-04-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpskie (Post 6835145)
Do you have a photobucket account? That would be the easiest way to upload pictures. I'm not sure I can help because I've never owned an automatic transmission but I'll give it a try.

I don't have an account at the Photobucket, but I'll try to create one as soon as possible.

I took the truck to a mechanic to look at it yesterday evening and he told me the problem is the Gear Shift Lever Bushing. He showed me how to replace it but I didn't have the Bushing with me. Auto Parts don't carry it, so I just went to order it at the Dealer this morning. I'll get it on next Tuesday. I'll be back here to let you all know.

Newby 05-28-2013 01:27 PM

After I finished replacing the Gear Shift Lever Bushing and it solved the problem.