1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Less rubbing on 32x11.5 or 33x10.5?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by jeffmhopkins, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    jeffmhopkins

jeffmhopkins [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma
    3" Lift
    I have a '98 reg cab 2.7L and installed a 2.5" front (spacers... I know, get some new coil overs etc.... waiting until after I get new bumpers for it), 2" rear lift (all shackle right now, so I might put an AAL in there for a little more) and I'm currently running 31x10.5x15 Firestone AT tires on the stock wheels.

Now that the lift is in place I was looking for tires. The recommended size was a 32 inch tire, but since the only 32" tires out there are also 11.5" wide, the tire would all around be a half inch wider than the 31s on it right now.

Would I get less rubbing/trimming with the BFGoodrich 32x11.5x15s vs a 33x10.5x15s?

I understand that unless I change bump stops etc that when I stuff the tires I will need to do some trimming, pinch weld mod, etc, and I'm down with that, but I want to make sure I don't have tires that are waaaay too big.

I'm leaning towards the 33s right now, because I feel the 32s might need spacers. I would be down for the 33x9.5s too... but I can't find anywhere really to buy them at the moment. I'm not afraid of the pizza cutter wheels.

So.... with trimming would the 33s be a better bet than the 32s?

2. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    I ran 32s with a 2.5" front lift for years. With the pinch weld mod you will not rub. Well I take that back... there was the tiniest rub on the frame but I never noticed it happening. I have been running 33s now for about 3 years and they do rub a little when the steering turn is fully maxed, not a big deal.

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    jeffmhopkins

jeffmhopkins [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma
    3" Lift
    The 33s are with the 2.5" still? Besides the pinch weld and maybe a little of the plastic was there anything else that needed beat or trimmed heavily to make them off roadable? I'm not looking for a mall crawler, but a truck that is capable on some trails. Not anything insane, but something that I could have fun in.

And did you need spacers or anything for those 33s? and I'm on stock wheels, would that make more of a difference?

Thanks in advance

4. Apr 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm on stock wheels too. All I did was bash/cut the pinch weld area and cut some plastic there. I 4x4 fine with 33"s, no spacers, slight rub on extreme steer, especially when the tire is uptraveled some. No issues. You will notice some gear/power changes that might take a little to get used to. Hope you have a V6.

5. Apr 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    jeffmhopkins

jeffmhopkins [OP] Member

Member:
    KY
    Vehicle:
    '98 Tacoma
    3" Lift
    Well that sounds promising. I think I'll go ahead and get the 33s. I only have the 2.7L 4 banger.... re-gearing to 4.56 might be necessary to make me happy with it. But that'll be after bumpers and sliders.

The truck is still my daily driver, but the thing is that I drive 35 and under for most of my miles (Army post speed limits) and don't do much highway driving with it. That's why I have my family van :) So the limits on power won't urk me too much. Don't get me wrong a V6 would have been nice, but I knew it was a gutless truck when I bought it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    Buckoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah I was a little surprised by the difference between the 32 and 33... I guess that extra inch just crossed the line. It's not too bad though, mainly going uphill at hwy speeds, especially when loaded.

Can't say for the 4 cyl thought, maybe about the same. GL

Products Discussed in

To Top