1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire suggestions.. Turn this horse to glue

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by CLynch, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Oct 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    CLynch

CLynch [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
    So, is tire time for me. Have about 3000 miles before it needs to be changed. I just read less pualkid01 post, and have been reading this post of the forum quite frequently, but I don't think I found the answer to my question.

The question is, I have the oem tires, should I just get oem "p" tire or "lt" tire. They have gone through upstate NY snow, and are going on 40k.The Truck is about a year old. I have not had any problems with the tires. Goes anywhere I asked so far. From farmers fields, to snow covered roads. I don't tow ever. My bed stores bulk items, but light items. I am thinking the P is the way to go. Had no problems, why fix it if it is not broken. Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I have researched but did not find this answer. Please avoid telling me I need rock scrambling tires. This is a a 72 mile a day commuter first. Thanks again guys.

2. Oct 30, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    bbaggett

bbaggett Well-Known Member

Member:
    Trophy Club, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Limited DCSB 4x4
    6" Rough Country lift, 295/65R18 Duratracs
    Tire Rack says best reviews are Firestone Destination A/T.

3. Oct 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    IMO, you don't need LT tires on a Tacoma unless you do lots of heavy towing/hauling or off-roading. If you're happy with the stock tires, slap another set on her and be done with it. If you want a best-of-both-worlds tire, look at some A/Ts. I just got new tires and ended up going with Hankook DynaPro ATMs in P265/70R17. They're pretty quiet and smooth like street tire but off-road capable if needed.

4. Oct 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    If you were happy with the OEM tires then you'd be fine with P rated tires. You can either go Highway or All Terrrains but they would be a bit heavier than H and usually more expensive. Hankooks Dynapro's or Nitto Terra grapplers are a nice balance of both and not too expensive. I have Falken Wildpeaks Highway tires on the first gen and have no complaints.

5. Oct 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    CBoy808

CBoy808 The Original Sticker Dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Mall Crawler
    If I was driving 72 miles a day and not off roading. HT all the way!

quiet, better gas milage.

6. Oct 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    From my experience the LT tires with the higher air pressure and stiffer sidewalls, don't seem to grip as well on ice and snow as the P rated tires. Some may disagree, but on these lighter trucks I've had better traction on ice and snow with the winter rated P's.
    I just put a new set of P245 75 16 Mastercraft Courser MSR's on my Tacoma. I replaced a set of LT's that were M&S rated, but weren't that great on snow and ice.

7. Oct 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I 2nd the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. They were a great tire on and off road. They are a P rated tire so don't expect hardcore off roading from these but farm roads/ light trails and snow they did great in. I had them in a 265/70/16 and was great for a stock tacoma. Since then my need have changed and I moved up to mud terrain but I still think back to my dynapros especially when my gas mileage took a 50 mile/ tank hit.

8. Oct 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you like the OEM tires....you can't go wrong.

The OEM tires on my truck were the Dueler H/T's..... They worked great for 4 years.

But personally...they look too much like a damn SUV/CAR tire!! I had to get something more aggressive looking. I went with Dueler Revo A/T. I haven't looked back....

9. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    CLynch

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Going p rated. I do Damn near zero of road but love in the country. That is what for wheelers are for. IMO.

10. Nov 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    CLynch

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
  11. Nov 4, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Yeah tire take offs can either be vehicles that got in an accident and still had good tread. Or the dealer switched out the stock tires for an upgraded tire. Either way try and get some kind of warranty so that way if something is wrong with them you can get your money back.

12. Nov 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM
    CLynch

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
    Thank you.

Products Discussed in

To Top