1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

33" tire rubbing questions

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by NightProwler, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2014 at 12:52 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Ok so I just got some 33's put on (previously had 32's), did the pinch weld mod, and I still have rubbing. From what I understand it shouldn't rub. Actually the only time it rubs is in reverse and it's just a tiny bit one the driver side at full lock. UNLESS I'm on even the slightest slant, then it rubs like crazy(again only in reverse). I do have 1/4" spacers in front. As well as camburg uca's. So I'm unsure if that affects it in any way. I did some reading and I found out there's a way to increase (I think) the caster to help with that. It did even state in the instructions, if I remember correctly, to have the installer increase the caster a bit. But I did this myself then tool it to big o for an alignment. They tell me it's all pretty much maxed out but Idk if they were referring to the toe or the caster/camber. Not too knowledgeable with alignment so I'm wondering if I can just have a word with the alignment tech when I take it in and have them adjust it to help with the rubbing or not...
    Oh and another thing I'll note is that I'll be getting bolt on 1" spacers for the front soon too and wonder if this will affect the clearance since its gonna push the tire out even more which I am assuming will make it rub even more since it'll be at more of an angle at full lock. Or do I have it backwards and it might actually give me more clearance from that pinch weld spot where it's rubbing?
    Anyone have any input on this?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. Jul 20, 2014 at 4:38 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    If you're rubbing when you turn it will leave marks. See where those marks are at, it's either the plastic fender flare or the cab mount. If it's only the fender flare you can take a sharp knife or something similar and just cut off the area that's been rubbed on.

Also how much lift you do have up front? And what is the back space and offset of your wheels?

3. Jul 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Not sure on the rim specs. I'm pretty sure it's 3.75 and -44 from what I've found on similar rims online.
    And I've already cut the fender flare and beat in the pinch weld. It's rubbing right at the lowest point of that pinch weld. I'll have to take a pic. Not sure on the lift either as I haven't tried measuring that either but pretty sure it's 2.5". I'll be upgrading to a proper lift eventually with adjustable coilovers..

4. Jul 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    As you can see, it's rubbing on the lowest point of that pinch weld. There's only a gap there between the tire and the pinch weld because the steering backed off about an inch from full lock when I let go because I didn't have anyone to hold it at full lock while I took pics.
    Again it doesn't really rub at all unless in reverse. It seems like its so close to being fixable. So I'm hoping the spacers will help. Or if not if I can get someone to adjust the camber or whatever. If not I can live with it. But would be nice to not have people turn heads and stare when I back out of a parking spot. Lol.

IMAG0671_zpsudxajtmn_de53a2ce5f1e502bb543c46868d3b014c67c73df.jpg
    IMAG0670_zps5hbitxkf_de853eb301f303050776a759e9e26e6c2534a60f.jpg
    IMAG0669_zps1oquvjio_4bc6a457c38e06165081e3158af2e112e61626d8.jpg

5. Jul 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I just read in another post I found that caster can be adjusted. So the question is, will big o know what I'm talking about when I take it in? Guess I'll have to try it and see if they are smart enough to know. Or Mayne I can take it to a 4 wheel parts shop or something that is for sure knowledgeable in that aspect and just pay for the alignment. It's just I already have a 3 year alignment program set up with my local big o so they do it free. Hmm..

6. Aug 2, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Bump.

Also I was wondering about my tie rod ends. Think those are what's maxed out. Still learning about different upgrades and whatnot.. Was wondering if there's some kind of tie rod extensions that connect to the rack to compensate for the lift..

Products Discussed in

To Top