1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tire pressure sensors =(

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by OldG, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:26 PM
    OldG

OldG [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    pinetree air freshner and 285 Goodyear mtr kevlars
    having a heck of a time tryin to get the tire pressure warning light to go-away , and its bugging the heck out of me

here is my story, I just installed some some MTR 285's the recomended pressure on this "E" rated tire is 80 psi , because the tacoma is a much lighter truck at 4,000 lbs it doesnt require that type of psi so i had them installed with 60 psi, I wanted it much lower but played it safe with 60, anyways no sooner than the tires were insalled that the tire pressure indicator came on in the dash.Talked to a few people and was advised to have whatever toyota recomends for tire pressure for stock tires and use that for new tires regardless of size " recomended 29 psi" .So now i droped all 4 tires down to 39 psi and tried to reset the indicator by puching the reset button till it blinks 3 times slowly let up on it leave the power on for a few minutes then turn off for a few minutes like the manual said.....the warning light still comes on!!!

help me out what an I doing wrong? do i have to drop the psi more?

2. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...I wouldn't drop the pressure that low if it was me....and the spare is a good place to start.

The reset makes all the tires "the same"...So if the spare is a different pressure- It won't fix the light.

3. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    First, use the chaulk method for determining tire pressure. The psi listed on the sides is the MAX psi. I run E rated tires on my Truck, and Im running 32 psi front, and 30 psi rear with no probs.

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Damn...I forgot about that..
    all this postwhoring is turning my brain to mush....:cool:

5. Jul 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

This is what I did and it worked good for me. I have a set of E range all terrains that also recommend 80 psi. They have all four been set to 30/32 for the last 20k miles with no ill effects. In fact the tires have held up MUCH better than I ever expected.

Also, the ride is Horrible anywhere at or about about 45 psi.

Just my 2 cents. :D

6. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    OldG

OldG [OP] Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    pinetree air freshner and 285 Goodyear mtr kevlars
    thanks for all the helpfull replys guys, I didnt know the spare tire had to be equal with the the other tires ! I'll bump it up to match the others, try it for awhile and see how the tread wear develops, I want to make sure I get even tread wear

7. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Use the chalk line test that Chris was talking about to determine the right pressures for the rolling tires first.

8. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:00 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

Products Discussed in

To Top