1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Dummy looking for a few answers on Tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by baldtaco, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Feb 3, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    baldtaco

baldtaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab, Prerunner, TRD, Offroad
    Toytec 3" lift, 885 coils, AAL leafs, BFG 285/70/17 A/T's, XD 797 Spy Wheels, Billet grille, Debadged
    Hey guys, So I have been looking at lots and lots and lots of tires and I came to realize something..... I don't know the true difference between "All Terrain" and "Mud Terrain" tires? Obviouly the M/T's are a lot cooler and more agressive looking but in the matter of everyday driving how do they compare. Mileage, on the streets, and longevity? How do they compare in these fields. Anybody shoot me some stats on the two or maybe just some personal insight......thanks.

2. Feb 3, 2008 at 2:43 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    just my .02, but mud terrains will yield worse gas mileage, they wear out alot quicker than an a/t tire, they are way louder too.

3. Feb 3, 2008 at 3:26 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    this may be true. they may cost a lil less also. but my mileage has suffered only 2 mpg.

4. Feb 3, 2008 at 5:16 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    i'm more concerned with looks that stupid stuff like performance, gas milage, wear and tear, quality, stupid stuff like that.... just kidding, sort of, but my point is go with what looks good and what you want.... granted, if you drive 3 hours a day you don't want something noisy, and if you offroad you want something capable, but if there is not a real good reason why i should get one thing over another, i go with what looks the best..... i'm gonna have to make sure i type this with a deep voice, that sure does sound like something a woman would say! :eek:

*really high pitched* ohhhh bald get this one!!! look how pretty it is! and it comes in this cute little box.... :D

5. Feb 3, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    baldtaco

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Toytec 3" lift, 885 coils, AAL leafs, BFG 285/70/17 A/T's, XD 797 Spy Wheels, Billet grille, Debadged
    Ohhhh Jackson your tires are soooooo big and mean looking ......Chicks luv a guy with a big wheel.....lol

6. Feb 3, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    L_Jackson

L_Jackson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Sand Pearl PreRunner Acce
    Tinted Windows, Tow Hitch, 3" Toytec Lift, American Racing Outlaw II Wheels, Cooper Discoverer 33's, Aries Bull Bar w/ (2) 5" Lights, Nerf Bars, Fog Lights as DTR Lights, Roll Bar w/ (4) 5" Lights, Sony Speakers, 2 Extra Tie Downs
    :laugh: that's funny bald, but i have always heard the opposite, i've heard "hey look at that guy with jacked up truck and big tires, he compensatin for something" :eek:

7. Feb 3, 2008 at 7:46 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i've seen reviews of bfg mt's lasting 100k miles and still having tread left....thats what i'm going for. a friend of mine in SC just bought a f250 w/ an 8" lift and 37" nitto mud grapplers and he says they suck on highway and have worn down really fast. its all in the hardness of the tire itself as to how it'll do on mileage

8. Feb 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    baldtaco

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Jackson, its the guys with the big trucks and big tires that are compensating.....guys with little trucks and big tires are just cool...

9. Feb 4, 2008 at 4:16 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    What you could is find a tire with a modest tread but with some beefy shoulders, the tread keeps the noise down, but when in the goo, the shoulders bite in and keep the buggy going, you're going to have to go old school for these, Cooper has one, but you're best bet is to locate and old tire shop without all the big names, they will mostly be tall and skinny.

10. Feb 4, 2008 at 7:57 PM
    baldtaco

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    thanks jedi....

11. Feb 4, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I'll insert another plug here for my tires LOL Trail Mark APR's very good tires cheaper than any name brand I have tons of experience with these thing and they work great...check out my photos to see them on zuki...also on the idea of aggressive outer lugs but better center tread good old ground hawgs are very well known for wearing like Iron due to their center tread almost being continious I have had them also(still have one set) they are VERY noisy though

Products Discussed in

To Top