1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire Pressure Question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Boilerman, May 13, 2010.

1. May 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    Boilerman

Boilerman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    Just wondering how much air pressure you guys put in your tires? Do you go by what is on the door jamb of the truck, or go by what is on the side wall of the tire? The door jamb on my Taco says 30 psi cold for P245/75R16's. The truck came with Dunlop Grandtrek AT 20's in that size. I have always on all of my vehicles used the max psi on the side wall of the tire minus 10%. I have always had excellent wear on my tires by doing it this way. I checked these Dunlops today and max psi is 51 lbs. So I just rounded the psi to 50 x 10% or 5 psi. So I should air up the tires to 45 psi if I do it like I always have. I checked the tires and all 4 tires had 37 psi in them. I went ahead and aired all 4 tires to 45 psi. My question is this - Why would you put on the door jamb that your tires should be 30 psi cold and then put a tire on the truck that calls for 51 psi max? Seems like the tires are underflated to me:confused:

I have had the truck just over 3 weeks and I am averaging 23 mpg right now. I am hoping my mileage will go up some more since I added some more air. What do you guys think????

Thanks...

2. May 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Do the chalk trick. The write up is somewhere around here but you basically draw a line of chalk across the tread then drive about 100 feet then check the wear. It should be even across the entire tread.

3. May 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    tacomakid89

tacomakid89 Awesome Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black, 4x4, TRD Sport Tacoma
    Hard Wired GPS, Scan Guage II, URD Short Throw Shifter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, LED Mag Lite on seat side,Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Removed Front License Plate, Tint Cover Over Rear License Plate, Removed Secondary Air Filter, 13" Shorty Antenna, 5% Tint Rear, 20% Tint Front, Bed Extender, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Fog Light On Anytime Mod, Dual Halo Projection Headlights, Disabled Seatbelt Chime, King coilovers with remote resi in front, Kings with remote resi in rear, Deaver J66 leaf packs, TC UCAs up front.
    I run mine at 34 up front and 32 in the rear. Do the chalk method man.

4. May 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Boilerman

Boilerman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Texas, northwest of the Big Pond
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner SR5 Magnetic Gray 2.7L
    I did see the chalk method when I was searching....thanks:D

5. May 13, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I don't follow the recommended pressure. My tires are max rated at 44PSI, but I set them at 35.
    The door jam tag states 29PSI; I tried that once and they looked too soft.

6. May 13, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    35psi. all around works well for me. My door jam states 29. This is way too low in my opinion.

7. May 14, 2010 at 4:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The chalk line test has already been mentioned- It's the way to go. That doorjamb pressure only works with the OEM tires for one thing. And it's made to compromise about wear and gas mileage. You can use that as a starting point but getting solid wear pattern info from the chalk line test is the way to go.

8. May 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    Gene563

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I can look at a flat tire and tell the pressure is no good.

9. May 14, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Door jam unless you load the truck beyond capacity and then use the max. tire pressure so they don't fail... sure your truck is now messed up, but your tires will be fine!

Seriously, each of our trucks has the correct pressure for THAT truck with the supplied tires. My truck is a 4WD DC and the door jam says 29 front and 32 rear and the BFGs have a max. of 35 psi on the sidewall. That's not a lot more than the Toyota spec wants...

Now, on my last truck (same model), I tried the Cooper STT Mud Terrain 3 ply sidewall tires and if they were much below 40 psi, they were sloshy on the road... I think they had a 55 psi max. rate. So, if you change the type of tire from the original, you may need to customize the pressure.

10. May 15, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    Gene563

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    You're absolutely correct.
    I feel better setting the pressure where I do. The tires appear fully inflated, are well within the rated spec, and the truck rides and handles great. I may try this chalk test, though, to see where I stand.

11. May 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Just received my Hankooks and love them. They came from the installer with 32 lbs in each tire. They definitely look under inflated. According to Hankook's website for optimum performance they should have 90% of the maximum PSI which is 44 PSI. This equates out to 39.6 PSI. I would like to get the most for what was paid for these and will give this a try. Hopefully the ride will not be sacrificed.

Products Discussed in

To Top