Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

T56 Transmission Swap

Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
ha, i ruined a transmission a while back.....was thinking about putting one of these in. I wish I had. does anyone know about towing with these things?

if i drop it into a 4wd?

or if its even possible for the 4WD
Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
All that you will need, to tow with it, is a proper ring and pinion ratio. 4.10 - 4.30. To be most accurate, you would need ti use a RPM/ gear ratio calculator.

I have a 4x4, and have the T56 installed. Had to modify the cross member a little as well.

Mine is currently only two wheel drive. To make it 4x4 will cost another small chunk of change. You will have to talk with Rockland Standard Gear, to be able to get the proper transfercase and adapter plates.

That is my eventual goal. Having the transfer case that I am thinking of , will make it selectable between 2wd, and AWD. Not 4 wheel drive. I like AWD.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
My Truck is Cuter than Yours
Kelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shedKelson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelson
Kelson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
All that you will need, to tow with it, is a proper ring and pinion ratio. 4.10 - 4.30. To be most accurate, you would need ti use a RPM/ gear ratio calculator.

I have a 4x4, and have the T56 installed. Had to modify the cross member a little as well.

Mine is currently only two wheel drive. To make it 4x4 will cost another small chunk of change. You will have to talk with Rockland Standard Gear, to be able to get the proper transfercase and adapter plates.

That is my eventual goal. Having the transfer case that I am thinking of , will make it selectable between 2wd, and AWD. Not 4 wheel drive. I like AWD.
i would love to see this. DOOO ITTTTT!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #26
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
ha, i ruined a transmission a while back.....was thinking about putting one of these in. I wish I had. does anyone know about towing with these things?

if i drop it into a 4wd?

or if its even possible for the 4WD
This on a 2nd gen?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A custom adapter will have to be made for the T case.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
A custom adapter will have to be made for the T case.
Along with driveshaft size should be considered
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #29
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Kevin View Post
This on a 2nd gen?
Yep

2nd gen 2005
Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyengineer View Post
Yep

2nd gen 2005
are you already manual or switching to manual
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #31
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Along with driveshaft size should be considered
So worth it. The Toyota 6 speed is trash. If I had a 2wd manual I would have swapped by now.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #32

Input shaft, u-joint to rear diff flange, shifter location, slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch (im assuming they are hydraulic). Cross member that supports the tranny. bellhousing plate. Just rambling a few things off that need to be considered.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #33
Banned
Quote:
Input shaft, u-joint to rear diff flange, shifter location, slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch (im assuming they are hydraulic). Cross member that supports the tranny. bellhousing plate. Just rambling a few things off that need to be considered.
APR makes a conversion kit. I'm not sure what is included with it.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #34

Quote:
are you already manual or switching to manual
already have a 6 speed manual

though, I got my transmission fixed already, I will swap whenever I mess the transmission up again (if i do that is)
Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #35
HumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHumboldtTaco707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

HumboldtTaco707's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know of a shop in cali that does this or is the only place in Texas??
Old 06-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #37
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post

Thread revival, did you ever get the T-case adapter in?
What T-case did you use?

I'm looking at parts to restore a 60's chevy c10 and want to put a vortex 5.3 in with the t56 and I'd be happy if it was 4x4.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #38
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
www.urdusa.com is now making the T56 adapter kits. I started a thread in the 2nd Gen Tacoma forum.

I have not yet started that portion if my build. What needs to be done to make that happen though, is that you would need to contact www.RSGear.com They have made the adapters for T56s. The transfer case is a Borg Warner ______ #. I would have to go back into my build thread and find out the exact #, but it is also listed on their website.

It works by vacuum, to disengage the system, or if no vacuum it is always in AWD. Not 4wd.

Edit***** Here is the 2nd Gen thread. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-swap-kit.html

I wonder if the SS Trailblazer transmission would work with that engine? Since it is AWD. Except I don't know if they come in a manual?