Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

T56 Transmission Swap

Old 08-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
T56 Transmission Swap

APR has been working on a T56 transmission swap for our trucks. It will also work on 2WD Tacomas. I thought we had a thread already started on this, bit it appears to have vanished.

I have to say, I am one of the few that have completed this swap and I am very happy with the results.

Custom bellhousing.

Mock up.

Pic of trans in the tunnel.

Shifter pics

From the top side.

This was an expensive mod, but I am very pleased with the outcome.

My specs are as follows:

Stock flywheel
URD Stage 3 clutch
Magnum version of the T56 with Ford gear set
(2.97, 2.10, 1.46, 1.00, 0.74 & 0.50)
Used 3rd member housing with a new 4:10 ring & pinion ( I changed my mind from using 3:73)
I bought APR super short SS.
URD trac bar.

The Magnum transmission has a few differences from the stock T56. There was one odd bolt that needed to be added to the bell housing. APR's shifter had to be modified for the Magnum. The rear crossmember is a little different. The Magnum has provisions for mechanical & electronic speedometers. I am not using the mechanical speedometer, so it is important to order a mechanical block off plate. While you at it, order a wiring harness for the speedometer, it will save you some grief.

APR did a little tuning for me while my truck was vacationing at New Braunfels. A new map will be required for the swap. The new map is required for operation of the electronic solenoid for the reverse lock out. Part of the kit is a Dakota Digital device for recalibrating the speedometer.

I had a blast driving it home. New Braunsfels is about 200 miles from my house. Driving at 85 mph will result in the Tach resting at about 2000 RPM. It would not be hard to loose my license.

I am still getting used to the set-up. Blasting though 1st through 4th is effortless. I have not boiled the tires yet. I want the clutch disc to break in a little first.

Here is a link to APR's web site.

http://www.aprpower.com/ECU_mainpage.html
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Have you had it long enough to figure out if there is any gains in MPG?
Old 08-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
Have you had it long enough to figure out if there is any gains in MPG?

When I made the trip home from APR, I noticed better mileage. APR is about 200 miles from me. Most of my driving is city driving and I have not seen an increase on the MPG on the low end.

On the other hand, I have been hauling ass ever where I go.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Thats sick man. Good to see someone diving into something out of the ordinary!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #6

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Wowza! How's the shifting feel compared to stock?

The shifting is great. The rpm drop is very small between gears. When you do get on the highway, 6th gear is 0.50, so very low RPMs (about 2000 @ 85mph). The shifter is very tight, short throw.

With a boosted X-Runner, it is hard to stay out of redline.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe View Post
The shifting is great. The rpm drop is very small between gears. When you do get on the highway, 6th gear is 0.50, so very low RPMs (about 2000 @ 85mph). The shifter is very tight, short throw.

With a boosted X-Runner, it is hard to stay out of redline.
That's sweet!
Old 08-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #9

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masada View Post
Can I ask how much it cost to do this?
Price is going to vary a bit, depending on whether you buy a rebuilt T56, buy a used one or a new one. I bought a new Magnum transmission, so my installation ran a little higher than most.

Approximately $5000
Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Not bad bang for the buck! Keep us updated on how it holds up for you.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #11

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
If they put in Vettes, Vipers ans Cobras, I feel pretty confident it is going to be fine.

I will keep you posted.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Time to go see how fast I can get the truck going in first for about 5 miles.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
so this is for v6 only?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #14

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I believe 6 bangers only.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Very interested Who is APR do they have a website or contact info? where are they located?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #16

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
http://aprpower.com/
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks a lot! did you have them install it or did you do it yourself?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #18

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
In my case, I let them install it.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #19

not a bad price! Thanks for the info, looks like i will be emailing them I don't see the kit on their website just a little teaser.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
I had a T56 in my GTO, that was a great transmission! Pretty bomb proof.