Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

headlight fogged.. Replace it?? If so, need advice..

Old 11-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
MacyHastings is on a distinguished road
Name: Macy
MacyHastings's Tacoma Gallery
headlight fogged.. Replace it?? If so, need advice..

Hello all!

First things first, I own a jet black 2006 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner V6 (4.0L , Manual Transmission). Upon entering my garage yesterday, I noticed that the driver side headlight of my truck appeared opaque (I believe this is referred to as a foggy headlight). I'd like to restore the assembly to its original beauty. Is there a way I can do that myself or do I have to purchase a new one? I'm assuming I have to buy a new one but still, I'm not jumping to conclusions. In case I have to simply purchase a new one, I've already done some browsing around online for vendors, and I have narrowed it down to two possible vendors.. Before I make the purchase I just want to know which would be a better deal.. I've heard of both but have never dealt with either..

http://www.autolightcenter.com/toyot...s.html#MTQ1Njk
or
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...0657800-333542
Forgive my long post. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, I'd stay away from either of those headlights and go to the dealer for a new one. Aftermarket headlights have been known to have a lot of fogging issues. There is a "Buy/Sell/Trade" section on this forum, you might find someone selling just what you need. You also can take your light apart to let it dry out and re-seal it. Welcome to TW, and good luck with the headlight.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
preheat your oven, turn the oven off, stick the headlight in there for 8-10min, take out, pry apart, clean the inside/outside, then re-seal with quality sealant
Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TAYLOR
08chocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
cant help you with out a picture. you honestly might just have to buff it out and itll come right out but if i cant see, then i wont be able to help you
Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Not a Taco, but same idea....and an electric buffer with the polish works way faster.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...sand+headlight
Old 11-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
preheat your oven, turn the oven off, stick the headlight in there for 8-10min, take out, pry apart, clean the inside/outside, then re-seal with quality sealant
^^^ What he said, that is the best way to do it, like others said try to stay away from aftermarket headlights they tend to leak and fog up..

Oh welcome to TW and congrats on the X-Runner
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
Leadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadgolem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Leadgolem's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on if you want perfection. http://www.allpar.com/fix/headlights.html The results aren't perfect, but very good. I don't know about the oven method. First time I've heard of it.

Welcome to TW.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Depends on if you want perfection. http://www.allpar.com/fix/headlights.html The results aren't perfect, but very good. I don't know about the oven method. First time I've heard of it.

Welcome to TW.
Here you go. for blacking out yr headlights on 2nd gen tacomas..
check #7
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...free-mods.html
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Wait, what is the problem here? Is there moisture in the headlight or is it fogging due to the sun/dirt?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #10
08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08chocotaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: TAYLOR
08chocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Wait, what is the problem here? Is there moisture in the headlight or is it fogging due to the sun/dirt?
exactlyyyyy
Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
Emanon is on a distinguished road
Emanon's Tacoma Gallery
Recently both my headlights started fogging up. I removed the headlight assemblys took the bulbs and let 'em sit in the sun for a few hours. At the same time I took a heavy grade silicone and covered the seams.

Solved the issue for me.

Would be a great time to pick up a 3M headlight restoration kit if the plastic is in rough shape.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
MacyHastings is on a distinguished road
Name: Macy
MacyHastings's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not 100 percents sure, but I believe the fogging is due to moisture..

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'll follow your advice and take a gander at the buy/sell/trade section
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Emanon is on a distinguished road
Emanon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacyHastings View Post
I'm not 100 percents sure, but I believe the fogging is due to moisture..
I bet it is. Mine would fog up for days after I washed the truck. The seams had a few coats of clear silicone from where the assembly was pulled apart to do the black headlight mod. A new coat of silicone and 3 washes later no more fogging up.

Tho I will prolly hit up eBay for a new set in the near future since the peeling clear coat they sprayed on the lenses is not looking so hot.