Notices

Oil viscositys ?

Old 03-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
Oil viscositys ?

Ok guys I know I'm really fixin' to start something here , but ,. here we go ,
I'm old school in alot of ways , like the fact that I have pretty much used 20/50 weight in everything but my lawn motors.
But, my owners book on my '06 X is very infatic that we have to only use 5/30 w. And in an emergence if one has to use 10/30 w. CHANGE it back as soon as you can !
I have compromised from 20/50 to 10/30 w here in Texas and haven't seen any problems .

What do you think ?

Big O
Old 03-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you expect problems using the recommend oil viscosity?

I'm not sure what you getting at here.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
dbredleader is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dbredleader's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
Ok guys I know I'm really fixin' to start something here , but ,. here we go ,
I'm old school in alot of ways , like the fact that I have pretty much used 20/50 weight in everything but my lawn motors.
But, my owners book on my '06 X is very infatic that we have to only use 5/30 w. And in an emergence if one has to use 10/30 w. CHANGE it back as soon as you can !
I have compromised from 20/50 to 10/30 w here in Texas and haven't seen any problems .

What do you think ?

Big O

I think I would be running 5/30 (read: am running 5/30) like the Toyota engineers recommend. Unless you want to screw your truck up
Old 03-29-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Racerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacerboy221 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Counter Intelligence at NSA
Name: Bill
Racerboy221's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Racerboy221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
....my owners book on my '06 X is very infatic that we have to only use 5/30 w. And in an emergence if one has to use 10/30 w. CHANGE it back as soon as you can !

What do you think ?

Big O
I sell AmsOil and double checked the charts we recommend for your truck and it list both 0W-30 as well as 5W-30 for the two options.

I understand the old-school line of thinking, I used to follow that train of thought a well but have come to realize that old-school is not always the best.

The mad scientists at Toyota are paid the big dollars to tell us what to run in the vehicles they designed. If you keep their recommendations and something goes wrong, then take it up with them through the courts.

Good luck with your choices
Old 03-29-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Schinkey10689 is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Schinkey10689's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota just recently (I think...) started recommending using 0W-30 in most newer model vehicles due to the "green" revolution. That weight is supposed to give off less emissions.. I'm sticking with 5W-30 though cause thats what's been good to me.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
I cant give you a link to this information, just what i remember reading. But essentially, part of the reason Toyota recommends the 5-30 is because of how the engine lubrication system was designed. The size of the holes and channels requires a thinner oil to flow properly.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
CCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really niceCCCSOCOP is just really nice
Law Enforcement: RESERVE DEPUTY SHERIFF - RETIRED
Name: RON
CCCSOCOP's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Big O,

I have to admit that I'm old school too. I've been using 20-50 Castrol for over 20 years in my two vehicles. My last one was the 1992 Toyota 4x4 with a 4-banger, never had anyproblems up to 173,000 miles - then had some minor head problems from overheating but not oil related. Did switch to the High Mileage oil after 100,000 or so. Now on my 2006 x-runner I still plan to use the same weights, Seems to work best in my climate area.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #8
Big O is on a distinguished road

Name: Owen
Big O's Tacoma Gallery
As we all know the first number is for the start up period the second number for actual running down the road. The chart in my manual shows the temper range for 5w is from below -5 to over 100 degrees . Here in Texas , that means over half of the time my start up temp would not be needed in that range over half the time. A lot of times my out side temp is already off this chart. They are also dropping the start up number for "green reasons". The same reasoning they tell us to NOT let the motor warm up, but pull away immediately . I don't do that ether. I give the motor the time to idle down on it's own.
Since over half the time my running temp is off their 5/30 w chart , I will be really tempted to kick it on up to 10/40 w for my summers .

Big O
Old 04-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06RadiantRed View Post
I cant give you a link to this information, just what i remember reading. But essentially, part of the reason Toyota recommends the 5-30 is because of how the engine lubrication system was designed. The size of the holes and channels requires a thinner oil to flow properly.
This is why the new Fords use 0w-20. Th eoil channels are so small that if you used a heavier oil you would actually starve the bearings of oil.
Use what is recommended, they know what is best they built the damn thing.