Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > X-Runners

Notices

Air Intake Upgrade

Old 05-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
xptical is on a distinguished road
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
Air Intake Upgrade

Hi all,

I'm headed up to Summit in a few hours and I'm looking at a few things for my Taco.

The main thing I'm looking at getting is a new air intake. The two I'm eyeballing are the "AFE Stage 2 Pro 5R" and the "Ingen PF Series".

Both of these systems are about $70 more than the "K&N 63 Series".

Is it worth the extra money for the AFE or Ingen? If so, what intake would be the best bang for the buck?

Thanks all.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to do it, I recommend the AFE Stage 2 dry filter. I had one and found I lost low end torque and my mpg actually dropped in overall driving. The only thing I liked was the passing power when you mashed the pedal. Now I'm happy with my AFE drop in filter on the stock intake and get 19-20mpg with my 285s on my normal 60 mile round trip compute everyday.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
Mainly looking to gain noise and hopefully HP.

I see that most of these draw from the stock location. Looking at the K&N, it "molds" to the inner wheel well. I figured I could enlarge the stock hole to help with the airflow...
Old 05-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Then get the AFE Pro dry stage 2. It can be had for $265-275, if I was you I'd find an online shot of it and see if summit will price match
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Then get the AFE Pro dry stage 2.
Stage 2 SI. There is a stage 2 regular which is nothing more than a K&N.

The others are correct. Don't expect a gain.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the AFE stuff goes, these are the ones listed:

Guard
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFE-75-81162/

Dry
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFE-51-81162/

5R
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AFE-54-81162/
Old 05-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
aFe talks about their sealed box reducing noise. Hmm...

Too bad I can't use that hood scoop to, you know, scoop air for the intake...
Old 05-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by xptical View Post
aFe talks about their sealed box reducing noise. Hmm...
Trust me. It is still loud. I have the old style TRD which is the same as the AFE Stage 2 SI. This is windows up:

If you want louder look at the URD TCAI.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Lets Do It!

all this if you want to spend 300 bucks for some noise.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
all this if you want to spend 300 bucks for some noise.
X2.

These are cheaper and make more noise:

Old 05-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #11
HMFD110 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefirefighter EMT
HMFD110's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody seen any increased MPG in any of these aside from the K&N. I'm in NY so we have the same emissions laws as CA, K&N says the're not street legal.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFD110 View Post
Has anybody seen any increased MPG in any of these aside from the K&N. I'm in NY so we have the same emissions laws as CA, K&N says the're not street legal.
It will but not really so yes/no. You might get .01 better MPG with an aftermarket intake.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #13

HMFD110's Tacoma Gallery
What about the others being street legal?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Banned
Only the new style TRD is street legal but it sucks.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #15

HMFD110's Tacoma Gallery
I keep looking on TRDs website and they only make one for the v6 not the i4s...
Old 05-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
xptical's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the visit to Summit pretty much sucked. The guy pretty much told me that they don't stock import parts in the store.

I guess that's good. I'll bounce over to URD and order something there. Maybe get headers and an intake at the same time.

As for gas mileage, has anyone tried swapping the mechanical fan for an electric one?